Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #11

Re: Impact Wrench Recommendation Needed

There are two uses for the Impact Wrench, be it electric or air. The first is to break the nuts loose and the second is to quickly spin them off. The latter is easy and will burn up your air, but it also doesn't take much pressure (you can spin them even while the tank is struggling to catch up).

The important part is the breaking loose, and that's the part I wouldn't cheap out on because if you don't get the torque to break them loose, all you've got is a fancy nut spinner. With air it's better to get them all started and not waste pressure on completely removing one before breaking loose the next one.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #12

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
The important part is the breaking loose, and that's the part I wouldn't cheap out on
That's what I think too. I am still inclined towards air over electric. I would rather have to wait 10 minutes for my tank to fill up than wait hours for a battery to recharge. The hardest and most dangerous part of changing a tire for me has always been breaking the lug nuts loose, so I wanted to have something that would help me with that. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Steve in L.A.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Remember that with either electric or air to not run the nut up tight with the impact wrench.
You still need to torque them properly with a torque wrench. Most of the aluminum wheels we see on SMBs have so little meat on the inside of the lug hole that over-tightening will split them in quick order.
Bill
Old 12-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

+1 on what Bill just posted.

For me space is critical. I just don't change tires often as a rule and for that one time I'll have to, a large breaker bar and torque wrench will do. Speed would be nice in poor weather I guess. At least with electric you can carry a variety of tools. Drills, wrenches, saws and vacuums are nice but take up room. The only electric tool I carry is a dremmel tool to cut locks and I use my inverter to power that. I packed the vacuum for a few years but rarely used it, so it's at home now.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #15

One advantage of 8 x 170mm wheels is the flat lugnut. The late model pickup wheels are hubcentric - that is they locate on the hub, the lugnuts only serve to keep the wheel flush against the hub. The wheel is 3/4" thick under the lugnut and there is no cone to try and split the metal of the wheel.

The adapters on the rear axle still have the cone shaped nuts, but the adapter is quite thick and strong - and it doesn't need to be removed.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #16

Garage

Thanks Mike. That is good info to have. The more I think about it, the more I think I'll just go with a good quality ratcheting breaker bar and a torque wrench. That should make it easier to change the occasional flat tire and check the torque after tire rotations. I'll just need to step up my weight lifting.

Steve in L.A.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #17

I am a strong advocate for the use of Torque a Wrench and go thru a very dedicated torque maintenance schedule on the SportsMobile to the point of always having it readily available .
Over the years with many different Off Road Vehicles I have saved mine and others Bacon numerous times by having one on board . This was the reason for my posting the SportsMobile scheduled Torque Recommendations that is here somewhere on our Forum for those of you that did not have it . It is amazing how 1 loose bolt or nut can unleash a chain of events !
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggd
dowgars ,
This is the DeWalt brand in the Impact version available from many different sources . My
model # is DC821KA 18Volt 1/2" Drive Impact Wrench . This is the kit that includes the following Carrying Case , Driver , 2 each 18 Volt Batteries and 110 Volt Charger . I purchased mine from Amazon .
Greggde
I guess I might bring this thread to life with a question about electric vs pneumatic. I have a pretty good compressor setup with an ARB CKMTA 150 psi twin compressor with (small) 1 gal tank, and no regulator. The manual indicates "Air tools with air flow requirements higher than 3CFM @ 90PSI will require the use of an air tank suitable for the run time requirements," but does not mention a regulator. With such a small tank I might try getting away with no regulator. And from specs of various 1/2" pneumatic wrenches I've looked at, it appears about 4 CFM is enough to run fairly high torque ~500 to 600 ft-lbs models. The quite expensive (~$250) DeWalt electric mentioned above is only 160 ft-lbs. My steel wheels need 140 ft-lbs according to the manual. So it seems that the DeWalt may be on the edge of being able to break loose a stubborn lug nut, whereas for significantly less that $100 I can get a Husky pneumatic with much higher torque.

It would be great to think some of the big bucks spent for the compressor could be made up by going pneumatic. And, yes, I agree with most things said about the main use of the impact wrench is to break loose the lug nuts, and if there is enough air then think about using it to spin the nuts off TOO, but use a torque wrench to tighten. So in the three years since this thread started, is there anyone that has experience with electric and/or pneumatic that can answer these questions about which might be better and is a regulator needed?
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:45 AM   #19
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Not to bash any sort of impact tool for wheel lug removal but how often is this needed for most of us? I ask only because in the past 7 years I've had one flat that needed changing on the highway, seems almost unnecessary to carry or gear up for a tool that's so infrequently needed.

Along with a very heavy duty scissor jack I pack a 24" x 3/4" drive breaker bar, 7/8" socket and 6" extension for tire changes. Yes its not as sexy or presumably quick as an impact but despite claimed specs not many battery powered tools can really break all 8 lugs loose and spin them off too---not with one battery. I have used a Milwaukee V28 1/2" impact and it struggles with properly torqued lugs.

I might be missing a bigger point here but buying, storing and maintaining a battery powered tool seems to defy logic. If an on-board air system with reservoir is already in place a Husky brand pneumatic tool wouldn't be a horrible idea--they're cheap enough. I personally would not add air for this sort of single tool use though.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #20

I'd have to agree with JWA. I have a pneumatic impact wrench at home and don't even use it when I rotate tires. An 18" breaker bar will break them loose and tighten them fairly easily. And it stays in the van for the (never yet needed) flat tires.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote