Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #21

Garage
Re: Impact Wrench Recommendation Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
I'd have to agree with JWA.
+1. I ended up doing exactly what I said i would do earlier in this thread, which was get a breaker bar and a torque wrench. Like Mike, I check torque after tire rotations and so far have not had to change a flat. Both stay in the van and the cost was much less than what an impact wrench would have cost.

Steve in L.A.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #22

Quote:
I'd have to agree with JWA. I have a pneumatic impact wrench at home and don't even use it when I rotate tires. An 18" breaker bar will break them loose and tighten them fairly easily. And it stays in the van for the (never yet needed) flat tires.

Mike
Both of you definitely have good points, but I am guessing neither of you have an air system as part of your vehicles. We just got back from a 3+ month trip in Canada, and aired down for gravel, traction and one time to escape from sand and I just love having air. The Ford lug nut wrench, which under most circumstances is sufficient to break the nuts loose, would stay in the van as a backup in any event. While waiting for answers to my post, I sprang for a Husky HSTC4150 impact wrench rated at 650 ft-lbs that was on a special Home Depot 50% off sale for $58 + tax and probably weighs about as much as a breaker bar extension. I had already purchased a Craftsman deep impact socket to use my torque wrench, which is still a necessity w/ or w/o an impact wrench.

Although I am of the attitude that I could not do many roadside repairs, replacing my std. 1/2" on-board socket set with an impact type could possibly come in handy one day. I remember the many times when I worked on cars more, the hardest part was loosening bigger nuts. And I never regretted replacing an old battery drill with one of those drill and 1/4" impact driver sets. I use the driver EVERY time I need to remove a screw! Impact tools are great for removal!

If I remember, I will post again after doing a tire rotation as a dry run of a hydraulic jack I have not used yet and the impact wrench instead of going to Discount Tires where I can just sit there and read car magazines . . .
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #23

If you don't use your air tools at home, I wouldn't sneer at those of us who do. I use my impact wrench all the time- so much so I should really replace it. If it's too small for the impact, I use the butterfly mini or power ratchet. These days the impact wrench is mostly for tire rotations, aka, taking the Jeep to emissions (full tire swap) because I don't have any real projects. Not that I don't enjoy spinning a box wrench- it's much more zen, but given more than a few bolts, tough bolts, or other aggravating factors, I want the impact wrench to take that much effort out of the project.

So, using it all the time at home, it makes sense to me to be able to quickly and easily change a flat. The last thing I want is aggravation from manual tools and to hang out where it is dangerous any longer than possible. The only reason I don't have this already is I don't know which electric impact to buy... I was hoping to get that out of this thread, so it could go in the XL underfloor storage for that inevitable day.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #24

Sometimes using a breaker bar on a stuck bolt only causes a stripped bolt. An impact really is superior in some situations. I've changed my vans tires using the Ford wrench, but I've some other cars and trucks where I was really glad I had in impact. If you have OBA, an air impact is the way to go. They simply can do more.

My experience with cordless: DeWalt 18V = sufficient mostly, but maybe doesn't hit its ratings. On a few pickups, I've had to go back to a breaker bar.

Hilti 18V - Its only rated for 140 ft-lbs I think. Maybe a little less. I just remembered thinking it wasn't quite enough. I just picked up $12,000 worth of them for a project, so I thought about getting an extra for the van until I learned the specs. Of the 30 we bought, so far 2 have failed. One was dropped 15' onto a concrete floor. The other simply stopped engaging (but the lights worked still) on day 2. It's currently back with Hilti for repairs. Battery life is excellent. The big batteries will rattle bolts all day long on a 10-hr shift and never slow down.

So.... based on my experience with the cordless models, I'll instead be upgrading my air system for more CFM, and keeping some air tools under the floor. Now I just need to decide on which air setup to go with....
Old 10-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #25
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

I fully agree IF an OBA already exists packing pneumatic tools is a great idea. I frequently consider an OBA myself since my van is primarily work/cargo only however it wouldn't be used enough to justify it. Well except for a very loud set of air horns I'd love to add.................

Also agree a poor-fitting wrench/socket could quickly strip or round off a fastener---I'll toss any suspect tool completely out of service the first time it even comes close to such action. Those factory lug nut wrenches are pretty much a joke but do make great hammers, pry bars or ballast----useless otherwise.

In my case emergency tire changing tools go completely unused except for their intended purpose. I've had one lug socket over 8 years and its been used twice to my recollection---still has the factory new finish on it!

I'm not adverse to using impact tools at home or in a borrowed shop but for me cordless or pneumatic they're just not something I need to carry.

Great discussion though---lots of specific brands and model numbers we can compare and contrast.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #26

I was recently shopping for my first air impact and received multiple recommendations to err on the side of a more powerful tool. I ended up with a NitroCat 1200-K and have not regretted it.

If you don't got with the impact, instead of a breaker bar for lug nuts, I'd recommend a cross style lug nut wrench. It, unlike a breaker bar allows you to control the plane in which you're spinning the tool. This is a big deal when you're fighting a stuck lug. Not only are you exerting more force in the direction you want to, you're also not rounding off the head.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience
I was recently shopping for my first air impact and received multiple recommendations to err on the side of a more powerful tool. I ended up with a NitroCat 1200-K and have not regretted it.

If you don't got with the impact, instead of a breaker bar for lug nuts, I'd recommend a cross style lug nut wrench. It, unlike a breaker bar allows you to control the plane in which you're spinning the tool. This is a big deal when you're fighting a stuck lug. Not only are you exerting more force in the direction you want to, you're also not rounding off the head.
My van's lugnuts are torqued to 150 lb-ft. That much torque bends the quality cross style lug wrench I have. I break them loose with a 18" breaker bar then spin them off with the cross wrench.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #28

Steve,

I never played a mechanic on TV, but many moons ago I was one. Friends are still in the trade and about a year ago, a buddy let me play with his Snap-On 18v cordless 1/2"-drive impact:

Snap-On CT6850:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

This is a light, cordless impact with tons of torque. I've used it many times, for multiple tire rotations on light trucks and for simple mechanical work (suspension, exhausts, etc.). I'm amazed at the battery reserve and torque. I'll never buy another pneumatic impact again. Pricey, yes, but I'd even carry this thing on the trail (with the provided quick charger, of course) to make quick work out of tire changes.

Just my $0.0002.

Jim
Old 10-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #29

Quote:
My van's lugnuts are torqued to 150 lb-ft. That much torque bends the quality cross style lug wrench I have.
That seems poor. I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Tool-35656-Wa ... uto_text_y and it deflects no more than any of my breaker bars.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #30

Snap-On CT6850:

that's what I carry, really works great, well worth it's price
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote