Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #41

Re: Impact Wrench Recommendation Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotearms
The Ford lug nut wrench, which under most circumstances is sufficient to break the nuts loose, would stay in the van as a backup in any event. While waiting for answers to my post, I sprang for a Husky HSTC4150 impact wrench rated at 650 ft-lbs that was on a special Home Depot 50% off sale for $58 + tax and probably weighs about as much as a breaker bar extension. I had already purchased a Craftsman deep impact socket to use my torque wrench, which is still a necessity w/ or w/o an impact wrench.
I must sadly report with tail between legs that after less than a year the above Husky wrench after very little use gave in. Now I am at ground zero for what to replace it with. I am now leaning more toward corded models instead of pneumatic or battery, but am doubtful they are powerful enough. Of course price is important, but after my poor Husky experience, maybe I should be willing to spend, say, $200. . .

Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #42

As always, Harbor Freight stuff is hit or miss, but I have had great luck with this. It's a heavy and heavy duty tool, and the quality looks and feels good. It's a heavy wrench and I'm using it for all my vehicle wheels and many other things these days.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...nch-68424.html

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:39 AM   #43
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Quote:
I must sadly report with tail between legs that after less than a year the above Husky wrench after very little use gave in. Now I am at ground zero for what to replace it with. I am now leaning more toward corded models instead of pneumatic or battery, but am doubtful they are powerful enough. Of course price is important, but after my poor Husky experience, maybe I should be willing to spend, say, $200. . .
Is the Husky still in warranty? I thought those carried extend guarantees?

I don't know price alone is a big indication of anything but top quality would be Ingersoll-Rand. Amazon et al has IR 1/2" impacts for $250 or less country or origin unknown as IR has drunk the Kool-Aid of imported crap.

On the note of lug nut removal I'm flirting with one of these: http://www.ezlugwrench.com/videosmanuals.html

They're simply inexpensive torque multipliers, the design has been around a long long time. Typically the're many hundreds dollars and intended for severe duty heavy machinery applications.

When/if I grab one it would be exclusively for road-side lug nut removal only. Since its hand powered there's no need for OBA or power. While it could be useful elsewhere quick tire changes are my main goal for this type of tool.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #44

I bought the Husky at Home Depot and their warranty was for two years, which I used to return it.

I REALLY wish someone would report on the use of the ezlugwrench! It seems like an amazing tool, but as usual the devil is in the details!

One nice thing about having an impact wrench on-board, is that it can do more than lug nuts. Since I already have air and hose for the tires, pneumatic makes sense for me and cost less that electric. But as I am about to pull the trigger and purchase another, I sure would like to hear more on the ezlugwrench. It is surprising there has been no response yet?
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:59 AM   #45
JWA

Re: EZ Lug Wrench.........

I tried to go the cheapest route possible and obtain one just for experimentation---if it was a viable tool for this alone spending more on a "better" similar device would be a no-brainer. I found and purchased two differnt tools from the same seller on FleaBay, less than $40 each shipped to my front door, both arriving in unusable condition. All money was refunded so I'm out only the time invested which is minimum and not a huge issue.

What I did notice is the EZ Lug Wrench is almost identical to the defective tools I received, the only real noticeable difference being the color of the tool and/or case. Specs & physical appearance are similar enough to say most likely they're all from the same manufacturer, Chinese at best.

There are quite a few USA-made used torque multipliers in various states of condition, prices from >$100 to over $1,400. While I won't make any promises as to when I'll acquire and put one into use I "hope" it will be "soon", as soon as other projects are out of the way. When/if that does happen I'll update the 2 or 3 threads where this type tool has been discussed for lug nut removal.

If there's another real need for OBA by all means an impact would make sense. Thinking more pessimistic I believe for me hand tools seem most practical because they don't rely on anything other than our own power. In the event we can't complete a job due some powered system being inoperative we might be stranded for some period of time.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:01 PM   #46

Something to consider on this subject is corrosion and rust due to moisture from warm/hot air always seems to be an issue with pneumatic tools when not used or maintained regularly. I'm all in with my DeWalt 20V Lithium Ion 1/2 drive impact.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:55 AM   #47
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmarcus View Post
Something to consider on this subject is corrosion and rust due to moisture from warm/hot air always seems to be an issue with pneumatic tools when not used or maintained regularly. I'm all in with my DeWalt 20V Lithium Ion 1/2 drive impact.
Well for the most part that's sound advice, all except the part about DeWalt. IMHO and experience there are far, far better cordless tools out there.

Any pneumatic tool should have oil added each time its used, there are blends for this Marvel Air Tool Oil being just one of them. Three drops into the air coupling and you're about as well protected as can be expected.

FWIW I have a Snap On USA made 1/2" impact bought brand new in 1986---its always been stored inside my unheated garage. Following the above recommendations has kept it trouble free and as powerful as ever. Mind you its not used every day, often going for months sitting idle which could be trouble were it not for the "lube before use" practice.

Just my 2 bits ya know...................
Old 03-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #48

Agreed, there are better cordless impacts on the market but for a tool I will use 3 or 4 times a year the price was right.