Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #21

I use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtozer View Post
Can you share details or photos of your bed leveling system? Sounds like a great idea...
Couple inexpensive and easy options are :

1. Drilling a few holes spaced out on bed vertical supports and using 1" dowel rods to easily adjust the bed up or down .

2. Install a pair of scissor lift jacks and use a cordless drill with the appropriate adapter to raise and lower the bed platform.

I went with option #2 and it takes me all of about 1 minute to raise or lower as needed. Added two bubble levels on the corners so that took all the guess work out of the equation.
Rider4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #23

Actually, Sportsmobile now offers that as an option. Now, for that automatic leveling feature...
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #24

I’m probably the last person on earth to have realized this, but the “Measure” app for iOS has a cool multi-dimensional level built into it. When trying to level out I put my phone flat on the van floor and the phone shows me what’s out of whack front to back and side to side. I’m pretty good at getting it very close just by eye, but the level app confirms it to my wife’s satisfaction :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0721.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	26647
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I’m probably the last person on earth to have realized this, but the “Measure” app for iOS has a cool multi-dimensional level built into it. When trying to level out I put my phone flat on the van floor and the phone shows me what’s out of whack front to back and side to side. I’m pretty good at getting it very close just by eye, but the level app confirms it to my wife’s satisfaction :-)
Is that where that went? Brian, that feature of IOS used to be built in to the native compass app if you swiped right or left (can't remember) but it went away......and I was p*ssed because I use it EVERY time I camp. I figured Apple was just cutting corners not offering something they figure the masses don't use. I was wrong! I've never even noticed the measure app. Very cool! Thanks for inadvertently sharing.

Also, I had no idea everyone was borrowing my rocks. You're welcome to them any time I'm not using them. I'm glad they are helping others enjoy the great outdoors.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:45 AM   #26

This device is kinda cool:

[URL="Level Mate Pro"]
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:22 AM   #27

Garage
eric, ive been using your rocks since 2012. really appreciate you making them so available for everyone. ive also been using your sticks and logs as well. hope you don't mind since you've left a lot of them in my neck of the woods hell, one time, I even used my motorcycle tote for leveling without even realizing it.

we always seek water to park by, and naturally the earth always slops to waterways so the passenger side almost religiously gets parked on erics stuff. sometimes we dig holes on drivers side to keep from using too many of his rocks.

we also have a bubble level installed in our center console like this one

as long as we get the van parked within the second circle were level enough to not sleep drift. you can get them on amazon for around 3 bucks. I picked ours up at lowes, but it was so long ago I don't remember the price.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:46 AM   #28

We use the Lynx leveling blocks previously mentioned along with this bubble level system:

Click image for larger version

Name:	14-8205-2T.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	26652

I mounted these on two corners of the cabinet directly behind the driver's seat. What is nice about these is that they measure in inch increments. With the blocks that stack in 1 inch increments I can turn around and easily calculate exactly how many blocks need to be stacked under any of three wheels to get the van level, front-to-rear and side-to-side, on the first try.
fw500a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #29

One thing I leaned last year: don’t have anyone standing in back of you when backing up onto Lynx Levelers! They can shoot out pretty far :-0
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #30

I use a plastic water bottle as a level. Gets me close enough. Lynx Levelers come in handy as does my shovel.

This thread reminds me of several years ago when we camped at the American Adventurist group Mountain Rendezvous campout. We pulled in with our VW Vanagon and tried to back up a pine needle covered hill into the site I found. As I tried to get further up the hill, both rear tires dug in until the muffler was on the ground. It felt level enough so we popped the top and stayed there. Several campers watching us pull in told me later they thought that was just my cool leveling technique. No, it was just my getting stuck technique that came in handy today...

My buddies E350 has Air Bags on the back, which he has used several times to level the van. I don't need bags for any other purpose but have a used set I will probably put on just for this purpose.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote