Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2021, 11:08 AM   #1

Garage
MoonShade Awning – A Portable Option

I’ve had a Sportsmobile for three years and have been waffling back and forth on installing a permanent awning. After some deliberation, I decided that I didn’t want to hang that much weight off the side of my van and/or risk snagging it on an overhanging tree limb. It seems that I’ve only wanted an awning maybe 5-10% of the time as I usually move from site to site and never spend much time at the van in the heat of the day.

A couple of years ago I attended an event where a company was selling a highly portable awning that looked both practical and “relatively” affordable. Well this past winter I purchased one and have had a few opportunities to use it since.

The awning is called MoonShade by MoonFab. https://moonfab.com/ It comes in a zippered case 28” x 6” and weighs 8 lbs. The coverage is 9’ x 7’. The basic components include a UV resistant polyester cover, tension/telescoping poles, guy lines and suction cups for mounting to the vehicle. They also offer additional mounting accessories to fit specific needs. In my case, I also got their magnet anchors.

The first time I set it up, I used the magnetic anchors and they held VERY firmly to my van’s roof (even with a thick coat of Raptor liner). Since then I found out that the tabs which hold the pop top’s lower bungee cord are spaced perfectly to just clip the cover’s carabiners directly to the top. Note that this is on a RB pop-top and I’m not sure if this is possible on an EB pop-top. Set up is quick and takes around 5min (not including running and staking the guy lines). I found that clipping the carabiners into the pop-top (or magnets) first then installing the tension poles makes handling the cover easier. Then just insert the telescoping poles into the corner grommets and adjust the poles to height.

The awning also comes with a “narrow base mounting pole” for circumstances where the awning is mounted to objects less than 9’ wide. In this instance the pole is inserted in the narrow (7’) side of the awning and the pole is then attached to the mounting anchors. In my case, I simply tied the pole to the two rear pop-top tabs with some P-cord. Seems like a great way to provide an awning over the rear doors if desired. As a side note the awning can be easily moved from one side of the van to the other depending on sun direction.

Overall I’ve been very happy with this awning. Set up and tear down goes quickly and can be done easily with one person. The awning handles winds in the 20-25mph range with out issue as long as the guy lines are sufficiently anchored (for what it’s worth, I haven’t been in winds higher than 20-25 mph yet). The shape of the cover should easily shed rain and the awning can be angled down to provide more shade or protection when needed. I like that the awning can be easily moved from one side of the vehicle to the other, transferred to other vehicles or attached to features such as trees or fences.

Since I’ve only had the awning for a few months, I can’t comment on its durability. It “seems” well made (unfortunately in China) and carries a limited lifetime warranty against defects.

In case you’re wondering… these are a bit on the expensive side. Retail on the MoonShade is $325 plus any optional anchoring devices. My magnets ran another $30. Their site mentions that replacement covers can be purchased for around $150.
Attached Thumbnails
packed.jpg   Sd clsd.jpg   bk side.jpg   driver side.jpg   sd open.jpg  

Magnet.jpg   Carabiner.jpg   back.jpg  

Old 05-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #2

This looks like a great idea. Have you found anything you don't like about it?
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:22 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
This looks like a great idea. Have you found anything you don't like about it?
So far I have found it very convenient. It does take up about the same amount of space as a folding camp chair and I ended up having to use a little step stool when using the pop-top's tabs to reach high enough. When using the magnets, I was able to reach to van's roof without issue (I'm 6').

In the meantime, I'm trying to get a group discount for forum members that may bring the cost down a little.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:21 PM   #4

Garage
I like the fact its versatile - as you pictured, can be used in multiple locations with the same result. Nice call-out.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:16 PM   #5

I'd have to find the name but theres a guy here in Vancouver WA that's selling them for $280 or 290. I looked at them awhile ago and after hearing your experience I might have to pick one up! Thanks for the review
Oly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:39 PM   #6

I’m interested.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #7

I've been looking into this as well, looks like a nice setup.

Do you know if there is away to attach a wind/sun brake on the sides like other awnings?
Old 05-07-2021, 01:48 PM   #8

My wife just spoke with the guy here in Vancouver Wa that I mentioned and hes offering the standard awning package plus a set of the magnetic eye bolts for $290+tax. He can ship as well. He only had a couple left to sell but will be ordering more. Let him know Justin and Lisa referred you. Hope this helps a few of you.
Barney 360.433.7519
Oly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:44 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oly11 View Post
My wife just spoke with the guy here in Vancouver Wa that I mentioned and hes offering the standard awning package plus a set of the magnetic eye bolts for $290+tax. He can ship as well. He only had a couple left to sell but will be ordering more. Let him know Justin and Lisa referred you. Hope this helps a few of you.
Barney 360.433.7519
That's a pretty good deal, wish I had known about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
I've been looking into this as well, looks like a nice setup.

Do you know if there is away to attach a wind/sun brake on the sides like other awnings?
I'm sure something could be rigged up, but if that's your intention, maybe a better choice would be going with a brand that has been specifically designed to go with accessory panels.