Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2020, 04:40 PM   #21

I need something that will mount in drip rails and go up at least 24-25 " to cross the top

I have not found anything that tall yet

NorCalVanDwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #22

My rood is so tall I cant find anything tall enough to mount to drip rails, but go high enough to cross over the top
Attached Thumbnails
! My Ford E150  Highroof.jpg  
Old 08-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #23

Garage
Have you considered identifying a drip rail mount that would serve your purpose, then locate a Welder/Metal fabricator capable of making an extension that would work for your application (either welded straight to your drip rail mount, or just an extension that bolts to the drip rail mount) ...I utilize an outfit regularly that does great work at a very reasonable price. Many of these guys are extremely talented (artists even) in their field.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Have you considered identifying a drip rail mount that would serve your purpose, then locate a Welder/Metal fabricator capable of making an extension that would work for your application (either welded straight to your drip rail mount, or just an extension that bolts to the drip rail mount) ...I utilize an outfit regularly that does great work at a very reasonable price. Many of these guys are extremely talented (artists even) in their field.
Yes sir I have and so far Fab shops have not been interested LOL, amazing as that sounds
I guess its too small a project

I am close to a few options will see which works out
Old 08-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalVanDwlr View Post
Can you tell me how long your mounts are?

and Part #?

Would love for this to be long enough for me
Here are the racks I have: https://vantech.us/product/h1-diy-ra...nversion-vans/

See the photos below. My top is approx. 19" high and cross bars sit about 2" above the top. I did this so I could get a wash cloth or brush under when cleaning the van. I could have went a little lower but it works. The top bolt of the cross bar mounts are drilled about 5" below the top of the vertical support so technically you could get another four inches higher. However, the website recommend to only go as high as 23.5", so you'd be a 1/2" higher than that. Likely ok if you aren't planning to carry heavy loads. You could add a third cross bar where you'd typically have two if you wanted to beef it up.

This one shows the height of the platform down to the drip rail. Tough to see in the photo but it measured about 23.5"

This photos shows the height the cross bars are drilled into the vertical supports, top of the support is about 5" from the top.

Note that I purchased the aluminum version which has a longitudinal stiffener that runs the vertical length of the support inside the tube. You have to drill straight this "rib" to attached the bottom bolts of cross bar support. I tried but the drill bit kept drifting out to the edge. I had to take the four vertical supports to a machine shop and have the holes milled out. It cost me about $40 to have that done, more a nuisance than anything. The top bolt drilled through the side of the rib so that's easy was easy enough to do myself.

Also setting the height of each cross bar was a pain since the drip rail isn't level across the length of the van. I must have measured 1000 times but only drilled once and got it dead nuts.

For what it's worth, my rack feel quite adequate and burly. I feel like I could have four or five people up there and not be worried about the weight.

Good luck with it, let me know what other questions come up.

Justin
Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #26

Vertical support height from drip rail is approx. 28.5".

From top of support
Old 08-29-2020, 09:24 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
I'm curious to see what you come up with as well as I've been debating solar options for my build. I was originally thinking about something along the lines of what Jboles did, but after seeing it I'm not so sure. While I'm not really concerned about being "stealth" that setup looks like it would create a ton of wind noise.

For attaching to the gutters, you can get these:
https://www.etrailer.com/Ladder-Racks/Rola/59622.html
...and then remove the cross bars and use whatever material you want to extend as high as you need. Galvanized slotted angle would probably work. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...2407/204225759
How "pretty" do you need it to be?
What did you say? I can't hear you! Did someone say wind noise? Say it louder!

No all kidding aside, the rack does kill the gas mileage and is quite loud with wind noise. At one point when I installed the wood deck there was some terrible wind noise, whistling, etc. I fixed that with a board across the bottom of the deck in front of the most forward crossbar.

Cheers,
JB
Old 08-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #28

Jbole's solution looks like the best yet. It's available in aluminum or steel and no extensions needed for most high tops.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:49 PM   #29

JBoles thanks so much brother for taking the time to measure, and to provide such perfect photos
Answered all my questions

I am gonna reach out to the manufacturer and see about it

I need rack "basket" portion

And then the legs mounting portion to mount the basket to the top

The basket I am looking at is the RevRack which is made by a Firefighter as a hobby side job project and really really good guy named Mike

Made of Aluminum and fair price IMO

Rev RackĀ* The Ultimate Roof Rack

The largest size is close to what I have some were talking about it, but he is working on California Fires right now so I have to wait to talk to him

But bad ass design for sure

If you contact Mike tell him Brian Watts sent you because I told him I am gonna try and help promote his rack because they are so nice
Old 08-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #30

Re: Blue Collar Supply, I found this place online, it's in Rancho Cordova. I've never been there but it looks like it might be promising, at least for metal stock.

https://www.metalmartranchoca.com/

There's also a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MetalMartRancho/

Let us know if anyone has been there or checks it out.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote