Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2022, 08:23 PM   #1

New Alpicool 50l, or used Dometic (and the like)

Hey all. I am looking at getting a fridge cooler style.

My budget works for a new Alpicool 50l dual zone with a LG compressor, or a used high end fridge like a Dometic.( maybe, haven't seen to many for sale, so not sure if this is even a comparable option.)

What you all think? How have your 12v cooler fridges worked for you? ( no peltier/thermoelectric effect style )

Thanks all!

kalabaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:00 PM   #2

I have a small Alpicool that I use as a freezer. Keeps food frozen in the summer with the windows up in the car. Only complaint is that it is a bit noisy.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:08 PM   #3

We have a 50L chest fridge we use as a freezer 24/7 and a large Truck Fridge front door unit we use as a fridge w the small freezer compartment. Love the combo.

Prior van we only had a 60L Norcold chest fridge. We usually kept that just around freezing and created an upper and lower section separated by towels to freeze the lower part and keep the upper at just above freezing. The unit worked great, our divided approach worked "okay".
Old 01-23-2022, 07:42 PM   #4

I have an Alpicool in my Jeep and so far I am very happy with it. There is a bluetooth phone app you can use with Alpicool to control remotely if you prefer. I love this since the Jeep is parked in the basement below us, I can check temp and have full control remotely.

It's a nice benefit IMO.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:06 PM   #5

Awesome, Thanks for the info all!!!
Old 01-27-2022, 10:28 AM   #6

Dometic Dual Zone

I've been running a Dometic CFX3 75DZ for the past 7 months and it's been great. True dual zone so you can control the temp of each compartment down to -7 and the app works good. It will work on 12v/24v and 120v/240v and it's quiet. Kinda pricey but so far I'm happy I spent the money.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
20210626_085254.jpg  
Obes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:40 AM   #7

I ended up getting the Alpicool t50 with LG compressor and threw on a 3 year extra warranty, still less then everything else I found in that size range.

Only issue I run in to is when I drop 24 cans of water in it ( I finally quit all sugar drinks, but it took me drinking sugar free flavored carbonated water so I drink that stuff like mad to keep me away from the soda), it will heatsoak the rest of the fridge while the water gets down to temp, and for some reason the compressor seems to run on no more then a 50% duty cycle. but it def gets it all cold and keeps it there. Maybe when I get it fuller of stuff it will re cool faster when some stuff is added.

( I am figuring out the duty cycle by putting a Bluetooth thermometer in it, so I can watch the graph to see. )

Thanks for all the info you all gave me!
Old 02-05-2022, 10:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obes View Post
I've been running a Dometic CFX3 75DZ for the past 7 months and it's been great. True dual zone so you can control the temp of each compartment down to -7 and the app works good. It will work on 12v/24v and 120v/240v and it's quiet. Kinda pricey but so far I'm happy I spent the money.

Mike
Have been looking into one of these once we upgrade the original fridge in ours, how has it been on power consumption for you?
Motorwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:21 PM   #9

Right now I am testing it in a house during winter so may not be the best numbers...

But it uses 45 watts when running and seems to be on a 50% duty cycle. so ~27 watts on average.\

edit: LOL Doh, didn't realize you where asking the other person, disregard.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:31 PM   #10

I haven't put my clamp on meter on it but based off the data on the app I'm averaging about 20wh +/- and peaking around 40wh. So right around what @kalabaddon said. They make an insulation cover for it that I have been considering getting which should also bring down the power consumption
Obes is offline   Reply With Quote