Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #131

Garage
Hey Offroading is Fun.
When you say "Halon," do you mean Halotron? Just want to make sure.

Found some interesting reading on Halon and Halotron...the last one is Element-based:
Halotron - Clean Fire Extinguishing Agent Replacement for Halon 1211
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/comm...lotron.113578/
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/.../AC_20-42D.pdf
https://www.h3raviation.com/news_EAA...isor_Feb08.htm
https://ferrarichat.com/forum/thread....564980/page-2

I bought two Elements for the van last fall, and years ago I bought a Halotron extinguisher for the truck because it has an expensive engine (gas). Have never used either extinguisher!
Regards.
Chris

Old 04-29-2019, 10:45 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreng View Post
Hey Offroading is Fun.
When you say "Halon," do you mean Halotron? Just want to make sure.

Found some interesting reading on Halon and Halotron...the last one is Element-based:
Halotron - Clean Fire Extinguishing Agent Replacement for Halon 1211
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/comm...lotron.113578/
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/.../AC_20-42D.pdf
https://www.h3raviation.com/news_EAA...isor_Feb08.htm
https://ferrarichat.com/forum/thread....564980/page-2

I bought two Elements for the van last fall, and years ago I bought a Halotron extinguisher for the truck because it has an expensive engine (gas). Have never used either extinguisher!
Regards.
Chris

No--

People don't like Halon because it depletes the ozone layer, it's expensive, and (as far as I can tell) further production of Halon is not allowed. That being said, I've never seen anyone argue about the effectiveness of Halon and telling me I was blatantly wrong to even consider buying a bigger bottle of Halon until commenting on this thread.

Halotron, as I understand, is intend to mimic the effects of Halon but substitute Halon for other chemicals (That as far as I have read are just as toxic and bad for the environment..). Direct from wikipedia, I quote, "Halotron I, the replacement extinguishing agent, requires a larger volume to get the same ratings as [Halon]1211." - So per volume, Halotron is less effective than Halon.

Reading on aircraft and assorted other forums, there seems to be two equal groups that say "Use what you like" (Between Halon 1211 and Halotron), and "Just use Halon 1211". The global consensus was, "Whatever you're using, the bottle can never be big enough" (In the context of an aircraft fire).

Given the opportunity to buy both, even if there was a price premium for Halon, I'd go with that. That being said, clearly everyone's mileage varies and that appears to be the wrong conclusion.

Erik
Old 05-01-2019, 05:27 AM   #133
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post

The global consensus was, "Whatever you're using, the bottle can never be big enough" (In the context of an aircraft fire).
I'd agree with that statement in just about any fire situation---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
Given the opportunity to buy both, even if there was a price premium for Halon, I'd go with that. That being said, clearly everyone's mileage varies and that appears to be the wrong conclusion.

Erik
Use, buy and store exactly what you feel is best for your particular situation. Suggestions here don't really seek to sway you, they're posted to offer counter points from individual POV's.

My issue with anything from Craig's List is more than likely it's of unknown condition, most likely something that could prove to be highly ineffective when its most needed---fire extinguishers for example. While I'm okay with saving money I won't skimp when it comes to my personal safety or a piece of safely gear. I'd HATE myself needing fire fighting gear (for myself or another person/vehicle) only to discover my CL stuff wouldn't deploy properly. Any cost savings would seem useless at that point. How much did I save and what cost will that savings turn out to be to me?

I hope NONE of use ever need any sort of fire extinguishers ever. I do have a Kidde 5 pound pressurized extinguisher that's just about to pass its date of refillability (??), Element's have been installed in its placed. In the years I've owned it I've never needed it, it cost me over $100 for the bottle and a super secure mounting bracket yet I don't regret a single penny of that expenditure. Same with the Elements---they're for "just in case........" which we all hope never happens.

Yes indeed our mileage does vary from our own individual POV's--that's to be expected.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:40 PM   #134

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Use, buy and store exactly what you feel is best for your particular situation. Suggestions here don't really seek to sway you, they're posted to offer counter points from individual POV's.

My issue with anything from Craig's List is more than likely it's of unknown condition, most likely something that could prove to be highly ineffective when its most needed---fire extinguishers for example. While I'm okay with saving money I won't skimp when it comes to my personal safety or a piece of safely gear. I'd HATE myself needing fire fighting gear (for myself or another person/vehicle) only to discover my CL stuff wouldn't deploy properly. Any cost savings would seem useless at that point. How much did I save and what cost will that savings turn out to be to me?

I hope NONE of use ever need any sort of fire extinguishers ever. I do have a Kidde 5 pound pressurized extinguisher that's just about to pass its date of refillability (??), Element's have been installed in its placed. In the years I've owned it I've never needed it, it cost me over $100 for the bottle and a super secure mounting bracket yet I don't regret a single penny of that expenditure. Same with the Elements---they're for "just in case........" which we all hope never happens.

Yes indeed our mileage does vary from our own individual POV's--that's to be expected.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #135
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
So we're just a year past the last reply here about fire extinguishers---has anyone had to deploy their Element device or any other recently? I hope not but if you have please share the details, what, where and how it was handled, hopefully without injury or too significant a loss of property.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #136
Site Team

Received an e-mail from Element Fire Extinguishers. Does not mention how long it's valid for.

15% OFF
FREE SHIPPING* & FREE EXTRA MOUNTING CLIP**
Use code: EFHS20 at checkout, or click the link below to automatically apply the discount to your order.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:48 AM   #137

Thanks Bronco Hauler

Good excuse to get that second extinguisher I've been meaning to buy. I put in the code and got the 15% but no free shipping, still basically offsets the shipping costs.

Cheers!
Old 11-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #138
Site Team

Sorry about that. I went back and looked at the fine print, and here it is:

*Free Shipping applies to orders over $99
**One (1) extra mounting clip for every Element E50 or E100 purchased

Expires midnight Tuesday, December 1st, 2020.
Coupon entered at checkout.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:20 PM   #139

Thanks BroncoHauler!
I put an order in.
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #140

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Huijser View Post
Thanks BroncoHauler!
I put an order in.
Yup, thanks as well BroncoHauler. Order placed for the E100 to get twice the charge and free shipping. Been waiting over a year to get one on sale.