Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
New Tools

So I've had a few of these tools for a while now, thought it would be good to share with the DIY's here in our midst, all fuse/electrical related.

First is the off-vehicle relay tester: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Works very well but this in the link is woefully cheap cost-wise however the long term durability is quite unknown to me. There are similar better possibly higher quality devices to be bought but if this would live in your at-home toolbox it should last a long time.

Despite this silly name "fuse buddy" devices from this outfit have served me well for a few years now, especially during the sometimes complex build outs I tend to create for my electrical systems. This is the biggest capacity version they make: Electronic Specialties Inc. Professional hand held automotive test equipment. MODEL #315 MAX FUSE BUDDY™ KIT

Another in the "fuse buddy" line up, the lesser capacity version I recently acquired: Electronic Specialties Inc. Professional hand held automotive test equipment. #309A Fuse Buddy Mini Kit-IMPROVED Honestly this one would probably serve most DIY's the best unless you're dealing with higher amperages or the Maxi Fuse sizes commonly found under the hood or perhaps in an upfitter's add-on auxiliary fuse boxes.

Don't let the prices shown on the company webpage scare you off--Amazon and eBay both have better prices.

The greatest thing about those types devices is they're direct reading and allow amp draws to be known without using a DMM that's typically limited by its 10 A internal fuse. I find them much easier to set-up and use, nothing more complicated than installing a fuse.

The site Electronic Specialties has quite a few useful tools---the main page can be accessed from either of those linked device pages.

Next is the IPA Fuse Saver kits, this is the Master Kit which I have and use: https://ipatools.com/product/8016-fu...er-master-kit/ It's a bit of overkill even for me--I found the one I have at a crazy great new price and snatched it up. I don't regret the purchase but sadly its not used as much as the full current new price would justify.

On IPA's site you can also find a few selections of contact & terminal cleaners, basically wire brushes sized for that duty. Here 'tis: https://ipatools.com/product-categor.../contact-care/

These might not be every day tools but for me they fit the bill perfectly for the designed tasks. For the most part they're quality tools, aimed more towards the professional level mechanic which tends to mean they're reliable even with a bit of rough handling.

Hope these are useful!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #2

As I get more involved in the electrics of my van, I can see how helpful these will be. Thanks for the list!
jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #3
Site Team

By any chance, have you ever tried a USB power meter. I've had this one in my Amazon Wishlist for a while, but I've never pulled the trigger. It would b nice to see what some of my USB devices pull from my battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-E...8252277&sr=8-8

Herb
Old 12-17-2020, 06:22 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
...I've had this one in my Amazon Wishlist for a while, but I've never pulled the trigger
Herb
Herb, PM me your address - I can make that happen for you (new in box & never used). In the spirit of Christmas, No shipping charges.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
JWA

Quote:
By any chance, have you ever tried a USB power meter. I've had this one in my Amazon Wishlist for a while, but I've never pulled the trigger. It would b nice to see what some of my USB devices pull from my battery.
Herb
I have not Herb----but it seems YOU might be able to soon give us a review all your own! \/ \/ \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Herb, PM me your address - I can make that happen for you (new in box & never used). In the spirit of Christmas, No shipping charges.
Very kewl offer---generous too!

I've not seen those types power consumption meters although do have a few 120 VAC devices for the home like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kill-A-W...4400/202196386

Both of those devices could be useful inside an SMB!
Old 12-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I have not Herb----but it seems YOU might be able to soon give us a review all your own! \/ \/ \/

Very kewl offer---generous too!

I absolutely agree, and I was blown away. I'll have to review it, otherwise I'll feel super guilty. I love the members on this forum.

Herb
Old 12-18-2020, 09:39 AM   #7
JWA

^^^ We're an okay bunch most days!
Old 12-18-2020, 07:36 PM   #8

I love you all but you can't have any of my tools. You'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands I'm afraid. Would you take hand picked family members instead?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 02:25 AM   #9
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I love you all but you can't have any of my tools. You'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands I'm afraid. Would you take hand picked family members instead?

Hmm---tough call there Scotty----if you're so willing to give up family members shouldn't we be suspicious?

I mean tools are useful for a lifetime---
Old 12-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #10

Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-E...8252277&sr=8-8
That one looks pretty cool, might have to pick that up. I've been using this one but it only works with USB-A connectors:

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Multimet.../dp/B00J3JSEG6
jimw is offline   Reply With Quote