Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Site Team

New water cans

I'm not sure why I'm actually excited about getting my new water cans, but I am.

No, they are not Scepter, I think they're a Government second source. As far as I know, they're identical. I bought them from LCI (http://www.buyLCI.com). Go to Shop Now, Tactical Gear, then Tactical. $18.99 each, brand new with free shipping on orders over $50. Available in Desert Sand and OD Green.

No, they do NOT have the fuel cans. Did I mention they do NOT have the fuel cans?

Herb

Old 01-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: New water cans

I also bought a set of three after reading this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2584

So my niece (ex-army) was visiting and I was show her my stash of van gear when she spotted the cans and asked
"Hey where did you get these water cans? They're the same as the ones I was always hauling in and out of trucks."

I guess that makes them official.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

What's the diff between these and the fuel cans? (Other than the fact that they say water on the side)
Bill
Old 01-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
Site Team

The fuel can handles have three "rungs" while the water can has one. That way can can tell which is which in the dark.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 AM   #5

So I go to order one and after figuring out their poor user interface, the order screen says $50 minimum order. The homepage just said spend $50 get free shipping.
I only want one, not three. And I didn't see anything else to order.

Anyone (read Herb or WVvan) want to part with one?

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #6

Most states require gasoline be carried in a red portable container. Yellow = diesel

This is in tended to protect emergency responders in case of a crash, as well prioritize the response. If they see liquid leaking from a red can, you can bet they will work much faster to get you free from the wreckage.

Also, some plastic water containers may be made of a plastic that may be degraded by fuel.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #7

I recently ordered some Blitz 31745 5-gal diesel cans from Amazon- $40 for two shipped seemed too good to be true, and it was. The 3rd party vendor (as most of Amazon is these days) sent two Midwest Can 8600 models.

I rather quickly and vehemently accused them of bait and switch and the apologetically refunded the whole amount and told me I could keep the cans. Apparently the Blitz 31745 is discontinued, as they weren't able to find me any, yet the Amazon item is still up and still claims to be Blitz 31745 cans.

I haven't decided what to do with the Midwest cans, they were free but not really what I wanted. Slightly off topic, but this thread reminded me of it.
Attached Thumbnails
blitzcan.jpg  
Old 01-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularSTEVE
So I go to order one and after figuring out their poor user interface, the order screen says $50 minimum order. The homepage just said spend $50 get free shipping.
I only want one, not three. And I didn't see anything else to order.

Anyone (read Herb or WVvan) want to part with one?

steve
'fraid not Steve. Aside from carrying in my own water to backcountry areas, the cans will also be filled and stored at home for emergency drinking water. Something for you to think about too, especially with a little one at home now, and the fact we're in earthquake country. I also have a case of MRE's at home for emergencies.

I also have a black Scepter water can on order from a different source to provide for solar heated water. This one was much more expensive unfortunately.

I didn't realize it was a $50 minimum order either.

Herb
Old 01-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Aside from carrying in my own water to backcountry areas, the cans will also be filled and stored at home for emergency drinking water. Something for you to think about too, especially with a little one at home now, and the fact we're in earthquake country. Herb
Very good point. I had thought about that last night watching all the Haiti news. The price is right too.
Thanks Herb.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularSTEVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Aside from carrying in my own water to backcountry areas, the cans will also be filled and stored at home for emergency drinking water. Something for you to think about too, especially with a little one at home now, and the fact we're in earthquake country. Herb
Very good point. I had thought about that last night watching all the Haiti news. The price is right too.
Thanks Herb.

steve
I've done my good deed for the day. That, and I'm an enabler, helping other people spend their money.

FWIW, the cans are well built and weigh about 6 pounds a piece, so shipping wouldn't be a bargain even if you were able to buy only one.

Herb