Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #1

Official GoPro Thread

So I got a Hero3 White for Christmas and quickly upgraded to a Black, but not without issues. The white seemed so much simpler, but the Black has so many extra features, including the remote (which makes it complicated!)

I'm still trying to get a handle on accessories and features, and whether a $200 price jump is worth the better version.

That said, lets have a GoPro thread- who has one? Which do you have? What do you think?

Old 01-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #2

Re: Official GoPro Thread

Do HERO's shoot a bunch of frames per second, like a fast camera, or are they shooting in full video?
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #3

I've got one of the originals. Works well as a helmet cam. I haven't tried mounting it on my dash yet.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Site Team

GoPro Hero3 Cameras

CNET Review

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #5

Garage

i bought one when they first came out and quickly sold it. no playback feature was a pita for the kind of filming we liked to do. coming home with a full days footage of somones back tire or the top of thier helmet pissed me off, lol. i do however know that for the price these things cant be beat. i see at least 10-15 of these units at every race i attend.

I replaced my gopro with one of these setups: http://vio-pov.com/products-all/pov-hd.html its a spendy setup, but i got mine used for cheap and am really happy with it.

I know theres a playback feature available now which is exactly what they needed to be a great setup.

id like to see some of the different footages you guys are making with the cams too!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
Do HERO's shoot a bunch of frames per second, like a fast camera, or are they shooting in full video?
Both, your choice.

I have a couple now and have lost three others as they have broken off during a race or testing. Get the replacement back with the viewing screen, it make it much easier to go through the menus and to position it.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
Both, your choice.

I have a couple now and have lost three others as they have broken off during a race or testing. Get the replacement back with the viewing screen, it make it much easier to go through the menus and to position it.
The problem with it is the remote pack takes the place of the LCD screen. I've talked with them about coming up with a blue tooth link to the LCD screen so you can see it inside when the camera is outside. I also wish the batteries would last longer...maybe the 3 does? I have two, the Hero and Hero2. The H-2 is much easier to operate but I use the H-1 for burst photos or constant on video. The H-2 is mounted outside where I can turn it off and on when needed with the remote. Sometimes I have them both outside. The dash throws a shadow and bothers me when inside. The sound quality sucks when in the waterproof case but I don't expect much on the road anyway. I'd like the H-3 but it depends on if they address some of the problems I see with these cameras. I guess you can link to an android via BT but I'm waitng for it to link to my PC.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Oh, if we get enough of these maybe we'll need a section for videos...look out M&C

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #9

All of the 3s have wifi link- you can control it from your smart phone, including a "live" preview image. It's pretty boss, even though there is a 3 second delay- enough to position things and make sure you're not getting 90% ground or someone's back tire. It is, however, too much delay to use it as a backup cam- even when hooking up a trailer with all the time in the world.

The Black shoots 240fps, so you can do slow motion, and all the 3s go the opposite direction with up to 60s time lapse (plan to see some Colorado sunrises from me; I've tested but nothing spectacular yet).

I haven't got the LCD backpack, so I'm not sure it would ever be good for the M&C interview style- although capturing the endless stream of commentary from an A pillar mount... maybe.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #10

...endless stream
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote