Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #11

Another vote for the ARB Twinair. It has a small footprint and was easily mounted at the bottom of a cabinet. Other folks have mounted them under the van on the frame, but they don't care for being underwater, so if you ever plan to cross deep water, inside mounting is better. I added a couple battery clamps to the wiring harness and a quick disconnect on the compressor. Works great.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
This has worked really well. Out of the elements, bring along when needed, stores easily. ARB Twin mounted to Harbor Freight case. Snap On air connectors and hose, Anderson style high current connectors. I need to install the Anderson type on the battery terminals. Wicked Mikey’s idea and assembly
I think this may be the way we go. It's expensive, but I'm confident I wouldn't need an upgrade for a very long time.
Wanderlust Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #13

My wheeling buddies and I ordered 3 of the outback high output models 10 yrs ago and they have been on multiple rigs with no problems what so every.
https://www.extremeoutback.com/produ...mpressors.html
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4sporty View Post
My wheeling buddies and I ordered 3 of the outback high output models 10 yrs ago and they have been on multiple rigs with no problems what so every.
https://www.extremeoutback.com/produ...mpressors.html
I totally forgot about those. My father-in-law has one of those in his jeep.

It looks like the ExtremeAire Magnum uses considerably more power than the ARB, but I don't think that's an issue for us, as we'll be running the motor whenever the compressor is in use. The ExtremeAire has an impressive 2.6cfm @ 100psi which will be very nice when we need to get up to 80 psi. It's also $70 more than the ARB.
Wanderlust Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #15

I have a 5 gallon tank, being able to start the compressors before you stop and having it ready to go helps a lot.

Initially I used a single Viair 400C, and was pretty unhappy with it. Adding a Wolo 860-C purely on spec helped a lot. It moves way more air than the Viair, is cheaper and appears to be roughly the same construction. Perhaps I just got lucky and ended up with a good one. It does blow the fuse on occasion, I don't quite recall the size, but IIRC the next size up was scary enough that I just live with that behavior.

If I did this over, I'd just get two of the Wolo compressors.

I also learned that getting my tires, that I usually run at 70 PSI, to 60 PSI or so will get me to the next gas station with more serious air easily enough.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #16

I'm using a Viair 400P now and it takes about 4 minutes per tire to go from 30 to 70. The unit does not cycle off so I'm able to do all 4 without waiting for it to cool down. Eventually I'd like something better but I will need it portable since I also have a Jeep. I'm thinking the ARB twin or maybe a Power Tank setup for when I do upgrade.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #17

ARB twin w 5 gallon tank. This is our second SMB; did a bunch of things different this time except the OBA setup including chucks in each Aluminess bumper.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #18

Garage
ARB twin

Went with the ARB twin about two years (no tank) ago and never looked back.
Mounted under the driver seat, safe and out of the elements.
Gets me from 20lbs on my 285x75's to 55 lbs in less then 2 minutes. Well worth the $.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4682.jpg   DSCF4676.jpg  
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #19

We have a single ARB mounted under the van that goes to a one gallon tank. The tank does two things. It allows the compressor to occasionally cycle off and acts as a moisture collector. We use to use a portable compressor without a tank. The hose would fill up with water that was generated by the heat of compression. The water made it hard to fill tre last two tires. Having a minus of two air chucks on makes for easy filling and a shorter hose. I also have a foldable stool that I sit on while filling the tires. Makes the fill time easier to deal with.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:32 PM   #20

Large size Power Tank with CO2 and it tops off really fast. Impressed and a fill lasts a long time.