Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2015, 03:29 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: On Board Welder

FWIW Lincoln's site has a few wonderful videos covering welding mishaps and how to identify them---helpful for the newbie. Miller probably has something similar, both companies wanting their patrons to derive the most benefit from their products.

Needless to say welding, brazing and soldering certainly are technical processes but they're also art of a sort where knowledge of your materials, equipment and different techniques are not overly complicated but require a bit of study and a whole lot more practice, practice, practice.

JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Woody: You're the man! I really looked into flux core .45 for my existing 220v Millermatic MIG welder before I bought the Miller Thunderbolt XL. I didn't know you could weld 1/4" steel with a 120v machine. I will definitely look into the 120volt Millermatic 130xp you recommend and maybe eventually selling my Thunderbolt and other Millermatic because 120v is so more convenient than 220v. Thanks for post and keep it coming brother. Happy Thanksgiving!

P.S. Are you using a BBQ or a torch to do your preheating?
P.S.S. What .45 flux core wire do you recommend? I assume it is a Lincoln, but they have a few varieties and it was going to have to be special order at my LWS.
E350,
Sorry, I gave you the wrong size flux core wire I use on my Millermatic 130XP, it is not .040 it's .030 Radnor flux core wire. We used the .040 when I was working.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Woody:
P.S. Are you using a BBQ or a torch to do your preheating?
For pre-heat you can use what ever heat source you have. I either use a small M.A.P.P. gas torch or oxy. acetylene torch. For thicker material, I am going to use the oxy. acetelene, it's just quicker.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #14

I see a few benefits with the Premier product aside from welding. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it! One big benefits is the improved "industrial" alternator which is a larger unit with improved charging and heavier duty belt for longer life. I also have built in spare regulator so if one goes, just plug and play the spare. You can also power electric tools, lights, or use welding cables to jump another vehicle. Is it something you will use every day? no, but if you have room for it and see the benefits, it is a good unit with proven track record. I kept my original alternator and belt as spares.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #15

I carry some extra JB Weld in my toolbox, does that count?

LOL.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:58 AM   #16
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
I carry some extra JB Weld in my toolbox, does that count?

LOL.
In some instances it surely couldn't hurt huh?
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:26 PM   #17

I once saw a tradeshow display where the guy was welding using (2) 12v batteries in series, a Makita cordless drill powered spoolgun. Man it was slick! The product assumed you already owned a cordless drill and a couple car batteries, and an alternator that could keep up. Anyone else ever see this product?

With any weld repair, I always seems to be doing 90% fabrication (on the broken thing) and only 10% actual welding. I can't imagine doing trail side repairs without a grinder, some stock, some drills and drill motor, a cut off wheel, a hack saw, glasses, welding helmet... I haul a lot of stuff with me, but I'm not sure where it ends :-)
TomsBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post

With any weld repair, I always seems to be doing 90% fabrication (on the broken thing) and only 10% actual welding. I can't imagine doing trail side repairs without a grinder, some stock, some drills and drill motor, a cut off wheel, a hack saw, glasses, welding helmet... I haul a lot of stuff with me, but I'm not sure where it ends :-)
Very true Tom. I'm with you.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #19

Old thread, I know.

Another Name to throw in the mix is the readywelder. its a DC spoolgun. runs off of 24 or 36 volt (two or three car batteries).

I keep this unit in my truck and have used it many times. It is very powerful and will penetrate 3/4" steel at 36volt.

I also keep a roll of aluminum wire with it, though I dont carry a bottle.

The drawback to it is isolating batteries to use in series.

I agree about the 90% fab time and 10% welding. However, im not trying to build a bumper in the woods. just trying to fix something enough to get back, when nothing else will work.

To support my welder, I bring a leather face mask, hacksaw, 20volt lithium dewalt drill(small and light). 12" of 1/8"x2" angle iron, a 6" length of chain, and a misc supply of nuts and bolts.
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #20

[QUOTE=To support my welder, I bring a leather face mask, hacksaw, 20volt lithium dewalt drill(small and light). 12" of 1/8"x2" angle iron, a 6" length of chain, and a misc supply of nuts and bolts.[/QUOTE]

I've never needed any welding on the trail, but your the kind of guy I would hope was around if I did.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote