Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #11

Re: On the road WIFI

What's the plan and cost that goes with such a setup?

Old 02-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #12

There's this that just came out I guess: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/pr ... -only/7459

Expensive and requires a cell signal. The little white cylinders evidently are antennae.

Tom
Old 02-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
What's the plan and cost that goes with such a setup?
For the cellular Data modem, I picked the unlimited plan for $60.00 per month.
Pretty much a cell phone and with most carriers, you can get some sort of a bundle package with your regular cell phone..

If you opt out of the Cellular Data Card, then there are regular cell phones that you can get a data plan with and use a usb tether to connect it to any computer to get online..

In order of speed and coverage:
Verizon/Alltel has the best coverage. (Has EVDO and EVDO Rev1)
Sprint next (Has EVDO and EVDO Rev1 Service (400kps! or more depending where you are)
ATT (non EVDO, Edge, slower but coverage is good)

As far as PC's, notebooks in general use between 2.5 to 4amps at 12V.
I was looking for something that I could leave on 24/7 with a small heat signature, so I took an older tablet pc and turned it into a mobile computer. Adding the SSD harddrive reduced the heat also since there are now moving parts on a SSD drive. I picked up a few tablet pc's between $150.00 - $350.00 on Ebay; Fujitsu Stylistic

Dlink/Linksys Router/wireless AP Hub - $100.00 if not less

Trucker/Cell Antenna with cabling - $65.00 or less
Cellular Amp (not required but does help with the range if you far from the cell towers) $250.00 or less

Having the Sporto be online and telling you it's all good - Priceless.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeemo
There's this that just came out I guess: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/pr ... -only/7459

Expensive and requires a cell signal. The little white cylinders evidently are antennae.

Tom
Yup, there has been a few new products released since we last talked about the same concepts:
viewtopic.php?p=5293

Here is another product also: http://www.cradlepoint.com/

The problem with those devices is that they work great in area that have EVDO/or Edge Cellular service but they don't auto switch to RxTT which is the lowest bandwidth mode for those data cards can do.

Most cities now have EVDO/Edge high speed internet access bandwidth (200kbs to 750kbs), then there is teh RxTT mode that the data cards can do if your really out in the boonies..

One of the most surprising locations lately was where I used to use RxTT out in Anza Borrego with a cell amp.
Sometime in the last 6 months, they upgraded about the only cell tower out in Anza Borrego near where we go and I am now getting an EVDO RevA signal!
I did a bandwidth test out in the desert and I was getting 400kbs at with a 40msec ping return which is pretty fast.

RxTT does about 100kbs(k bits per second) max with a ping test return between 300 and 400ms but in a crunch it does work if you want to get online. I've successfully got online (Amp) with RxTT 15miles away from nearest cell tower.

Now if only my Globalstar Sat phone would work when I want to call home.. Sheesh.. it's unreliable but when you've got nothing, it's last ditch effort to call home if you got no cell signal, no ham repeater tower or CB. I guess there is alway HF..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

We have headed a little bit of a different direction with this, but....

...there are also a couple of products out there now where you can use an aircard directly in a device that then acts like a router.

This is emerging technology and in another 18 months we should see a dramatic change in what is available.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote