Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #1

On the road WIFI

Has anyone rigged up a WIFI router in their van that can pick up external signals from truckstops and the like? Maybe using an external antenna for additional range. I would like one that would do that and then have my own network in the van. What would I need to get?

Clueless
Tom

Old 01-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #2

Re: On the road WIFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeemo
Has anyone rigged up a WIFI router in their van that can pick up external signals from truckstops and the like? Maybe using an external antenna for additional range. I would like one that would do that and then have my own network in the van. What would I need to get?

Clueless
Tom
When I'm on the road I use my verizon air-card for internet access. Not as fast as a standard WIFI connection, but still pretty good. I often get speeds of 0.8mb to 1.0mb anywhere a decent cell signal is available. If I'm way out in the boonies, I just go without.
Rob
Old 01-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

The Badgers had just such a setup.

We have research this setup for later addition to McBeast.
The antenna choice is where we are stuck. There is a nice directional antenna called the 'CANtenna' that we are leaning towards at this point.

I think we will due further research on antennas before we pull the trigger.

So you are looking at an antenna, the router, cables, and cables or extension cords to get the antenna and laptop to the locations you need them.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #4

Tom, if you Google "rv wifi repeater" you'll fine lots of sites either selling repeater setups or offering info. One site that might help you is http://www.nyetech.com/services/rv-wire ... peater.htm. Good luck!
1972 Mercedes 350SL with 4.5l V-8, just because
Wag more, Bark less, Play well with others.
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #5

Here's an antenna I found: http://getmorewifi.com/Truck-RV-SUV-War ... ce=froogle

Tom
Old 01-30-2009, 12:23 AM   #6

I have a Wilson Amplifier that connects to an antenna on the roof. I plug my cell phone in and it boosts it several full bars. I have another connection that plugs into my Verizon air card. Mine is the hardwired one, which two years ago had the better range than the wireless version. works very good but you must be able to hit a cell tower.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #7

I use a 2.4 GHz 9 dBi Rubber Duck Antenna w/ Mag Mount connected to my carputer.
http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=22322
It usually sits on the top of the cabinet. I get reasonable coverage just like that, I could move to the outside while stopped if needed. I have a dark blue van, so I already look like a surveillance vehicle, don't need anymore outside antennas to further that look. When I first put it in I was amazed how many people had unsecured wireless. When I can't connect with WiFi I use data tethering with my Palm Treo 680, not fast but you have connectivity. Since I live in the Portland area, I can now sign up for mobile WiMax. It would be cool, but I would loose connectivity quickly outside any the metropolitan area, and the SMB really isn't my daily driver it would be very hard to justify the cost, even in a good economy.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #8

I'm lo-tech, I just use the built in wireless in my laptop. However I have a handy keyfob that detects wireless signal, so if there is none or the strength is bad I don't bother setting up. There is probably all kinds of better technology now, but I still find it useful to see if there is a network.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

There was just an article I read about WIFI and the pressures on campgrounds to provide it. It was in either Highways Magazine or the Good Sam's magazine.... sorry I dont remember which ...or exactly how long ago it was... but it was an iteresting read.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeemo

Clueless
Tom
We used to hunt for those WIFI signals before and have switched over to using a Cellular Data Modem and/or Phone with a Data plane (tethered).

I used to proxy the WIFI and reshare it using the built in Internet Sharing option on XP.. it was a hassle since it was reliable half the time; it would drop and then connect, then drop, etc.. even with a awesome antenna.

Now I just use the Cellular Data modem with a low voltage tablet pc running windows2008 server; that I use as the permanent mobile computer with the internet connection reshared for other devices inside and around the Sporto. The tablet pc with a SSD Harddrive draws about 2.5amps.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote