Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #1

Passenger bench seat

We are toying with the idea of installing a removable passenger 2nd-row passenger seat in our 2011 E250 EB cargo. Van did not have a bench back there from the factory.

Our concern is a seat that can be relatively easily removed (preferably without unbolting things) but where the brackets wouldn't be too in the way. I'm also concerned about safety - the van won't have passengers often, but I don't see the point of putting a forward-facing bench in if it's not going to be relatively safe in a crash.

I was initially looking at Transit benches and E-series benches with integrated shoulder belts, but the mounting brackets look pretty bulky when the seats are out.

Has anyone come up with a clever solution to this problem? It seems like it's actually going to be more trouble than it's worth, but none of my other vehicles can comfortably seat 5 adults and I'd like to be able to use the van on some long road trips with more than one passenger next year on top of our camping trips.

kingnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #2

Garage
We regularly remove the bench seats from our 2013 E350 RB. The brackets are big, but they are quick and easy to remove with a T-55 Torx wrench.
Wanderlust Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #3

Two questions:

1. Do you plug the holes by just screwing the bolts back into the floor?

2. Did the van come with the seats? I suspect it did based on your profile picture. I'm trying to figure out how Ford mounted these seats from the factory since my van did not come with the mounts (that I am aware of!).
Old 09-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #4

With passenger vans, the brackets bolt into the floor. They have built in threads in reinforced areas of the floor. The cargo vans don't have the holes in them so I think you would have to go the nut/bolt method.

I have a Chateau model which has 2 rear captains chair and a bench in the back. I take the bench out quite a bit and I built a subfloor that I put in the van when I need to haul stuff around. It's just a frame made out of 2x2's and a plywood top. The 2x2 frame clears the brackets mounted on the floor so I just slide it in and it sits nicely.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnever View Post
Two questions:

1. Do you plug the holes by just screwing the bolts back into the floor?

2. Did the van come with the seats? I suspect it did based on your profile picture. I'm trying to figure out how Ford mounted these seats from the factory since my van did not come with the mounts (that I am aware of!).
Like Wanderlust Bus, I have a Late model E-350 wagon, and my usage requires removing/replacing the Ford 2nd row bench seat several times a year.

The benches pop out of the brackets (2 per bench) without tools and like W.B. said the brackets themselves are easily removed (4 bolts per bracket).

1. With no bench/brackets, I plug the holes with M12x1.75 bolts of appropriate length. These have a lower profile than the stock bolts. As I finish my interior I will probably switch to using set screws (headless bolts).

2. Obviously the E-350 wagons have the appropriate hardware welded to the underside of the van and associated holes thru the floor. Not sure if either those are present on cargo van.

Another question is whether or not the cargo van also has the hardware built in to support the seat belts.

That said, the stock bench seats are very heavy and awkward to handle very often. I am in the process of switching to two individual seats that will be easier to handle and will have a stock second row bench with hardware available for sale soon in the San Francisco Bay area.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #6

I installed 2 rows of transit bench seats in our 04 Cargo EB. I chose them because of the integrated shoulder harness. They are HEAVY!!!!! We secured the mounting bases to the floor with though bolts and backing plates per everyone's recommendations. The seat mounts are tall and obtrusive. The seats are great for use but not easy to maneuver in or out and the bases get in the way when the seats are removed.
04QuadBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #7

Garage
Depending on how many seats you want you could do L track with Siennas, but those are pricey to not have in most of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
20170925_204841.jpg   20170925_204825.jpg  

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:10 PM   #8

I removed my benches and brackets when I had my E350...The socket is actually a T55 Torx Plus...It will fit better than the T55 non-plus... I used an impact wrench to remove them. M12x1.75x12 setscrews with some RTV silicone on the threads seals up the holes nicely and comes out easily if you need to reinstall the seats. I believe the brackets for the rear bench in the 15 pass use smaller diameter bolts than the other seats.
Rock Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #9

Thanks all for the responses, this has been really informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04QuadBear View Post
I installed 2 rows of transit bench seats in our 04 Cargo EB. I chose them because of the integrated shoulder harness. They are HEAVY!!!!! We secured the mounting bases to the floor with though bolts and backing plates per everyone's recommendations. The seat mounts are tall and obtrusive. The seats are great for use but not easy to maneuver in or out and the bases get in the way when the seats are removed.

The Transit mount rails look even more obtrusive than the E-Series benches, and I didn't realize that the E-series benches don't have integrated harnesses for each seat. Seems like the Transit would be the way to go.

Did you make your own backing plate? Any details on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy
Depending on how many seats you want you could do L track with Siennas, but those are pricey to not have in most of the time.

That looks like an extremely interesting system. I'm not sure what Siennas are (other than the minivan) - are there bolt-on seats for those rails? Or do you just get any old bus/couch seat and bolt them on?
Old 09-27-2017, 05:59 PM   #10

Quote:
The Transit mount rails look even more obtrusive than the E-Series benches, and I didn't realize that the E-series benches don't have integrated harnesses for each seat. Seems like the Transit would be the way to go.
The Transit brackets sit closer to the floor than the E-Series. I haven't measured, but I believe the e-series bracket is probably almost an 1" taller.

I currently have a cargo van and need to add seats for my 3 kids. The Transit seats and Sienna seats were the only two I have found that have integrated seat belts, headrests, etc. I have purchased a 3 person Transit seat and it fits nicely where the factory first row would have been.

I rarely need all 5 seats and I'm debating swapping in two Sienna seats so that I can still have a walk through set up. It would be ideal to have the L Track set up so the seats can be moved forward/back as needed.

Quote:
That looks like an extremely interesting system. I'm not sure what Siennas are (other than the minivan) - are there bolt-on seats for those rails? Or do you just get any old bus/couch seat and bolt them on?
Link to Sienna seat brackets and pictures (Part #: SM001):

Ujointoffroad
Fork-N-Road is offline   Reply With Quote