Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2019, 10:01 PM   #1

Potty waste bags

Am getting ready for an extended trip and am looking for recommendations for potty waste bags. We have a Thetford Curve that we use for liquids only. On this trip I need to have a solution for solids as we will be camping on beaches with other people around. Usually we dig cat holes. My thought is to put a waste bag in the Curve and then do the deed. Do any of you use a bag in your potty and if so which one do you use?

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:38 PM   #2

I use the ones from Walmart, 6 to a box, think Big5 is the same. The privacy, comfort, is worth the $2 a dump.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-...83-13/14550463
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:49 AM   #3
Site Team

There are always Wag Bags, which work very well for soliids and liquids. I don't know if the size of these bags would work in a Thetford Curve though.

https://www.amazon.com/Phillips-Wag-...7713669&sr=8-6

Herb
Old 12-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #4

Garage
we had to get one of these once my wife was disabled:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

typically we dig and bury as well and just park that chair above the hole in a small change/shower tent, but there are places we camp where that’s illegal. this chair is setup to use all the different potty bags and we’ve used them in places where digging isn’t an option. it’s a pretty good setup and if the wifey approves, you know it’s gotta be decent enough.

I’m not sure which bags that chair came with, but we’re about out. ill try to remember to go look when I’m back home and report back. they fold inside themselves and have a stout double ziplock. zero odor any of the times we’ve e used them.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #5

Garage
Larrie, we use the wag bags in our Thetford and it works great. The bag part that goes in the toilet is huge and I’m sure would fit any porta potti. The dry chemical inside is an absorbent and basically makes a no-odor solid. That bag then gets sealed into an outer bag that you toss in the garbage. Because there’s no odor once it’s sealed, you can wait till it’s convenient to toss it.

I don’t like all the plastic but it sure beats emptying that potty. I bought a box with no-fuss military style packaging off Amazon.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:11 PM   #6

We like the bags from RestStop 2 and those seem to keep the smells away the best. We use them and they have a good mylar outer bag and never stink. They end up in our Trasharoo until we hit some town and get rid of them.

We have also used this brand with good results... Poop Bags

We tried the Walmart brand of bags - one box - then gave the other box of them away. They do not block the smell worth a sheet and stunk like hell. You get what you pay for.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #7

Can someone explain to me the advantages of the expensive waste bags? It seems that they do a good job of eliminating the odor, but beyond that? If you have the option of immediate disposal, why not just double bag using common, inexpensive, trash bags? Thanks.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:18 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Can someone explain to me the advantages of the expensive waste bags? It seems that they do a good job of eliminating the odor, but beyond that? If you have the option of immediate disposal, why not just double bag using common, inexpensive, trash bags? Thanks.
For me, I'm sometimes a week in backcountry where I don't have the ability to dispose of anything and have to carry everything with me. The Wag bags do a great job of containing the contents (especially thanks to the Pooh Powder-think of the gel in infant, or senior, diapers) and a good job of containing the smell.

Herb
Old 12-30-2019, 05:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
think of the gel in infant, or senior, diapers):Herb
Thank god I have no experience with either of those.

My current plan involves setting up a bucket seat with a funnel into a plastic jug with screw top for the wife. I simply step outside as needed. For more solid stuff, the bucket gets lined with two trash bags and immediately after use, transferred to the Trasharoo which is lined with a HD contractors bag and tied shut. No smell at all. One issue with a liner in a porta potty is that the liner will be contaminated on the outside unless the bowl is completely dry.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:05 PM   #10

Garage
So ours are ozark trail pn: 2683-33 from walmart. Looks like they have been replaced by the reliance brand and they have a handful of negative feedback. Too bad cause they seemed to work really well. Have a hard time believing they changed anything other than the brand name on the box, but this isn’t an item to cheap out on.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote