Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #11

Re: Power Tank

I'm running the Warn PowerPlant winch with compressor and yes, it runs my air wrench just fine.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #12

Power Tank

Can't say yet how many tires up to the PSI on the SMB. However, when I had 33's on the Jeep it would fill about 24 tires from about 15 to 32 PSI.

Yes, it can easily be used for tools.

I'm a fan of two tanks. That way you always know you've got one full. The regulator is the expensive part and can be easily swapped.

The real plus is speed. I'm typically done with all four tires before anyone with a compressor finishes their first.

The other plus is its mobility. It goes with either my Jeep or SMB, AND, it is useful around the house.

As previously stated, the downside is that it doesn't work very well empty...
Old 11-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #13

Garage

I am running the Viair Constant Duty Kit which includes the 450C compressor and a 2.5 gallon tank. Quadvan fabricated a powder-coated steel shelf for the compressor and tank and mounted it under the side doors. The connector is in the front bumper. The compressor keeps the tank pressurized to 150 PSI. On my last trip I aired up from 55 PSI to 70 PSI and it took about 4 minutes per tire. I don't know much about air tools yet and a wrench is also on my list, but I was told that most air tools prefer to run at 90 PSI. Here is a picture of the works:

Steve in L.A.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #14

JStanley is absolutely spot on regarding the use of Scuba Tanks that was all that was available 20 plus years ago and they are less expensive that the more recent Power Tanks which are nothing more than dolled up Scuba Tanks . If you check with the various Dive Shops in your area you will find that they rotate their inventories periodically because of cosmetic reasons .
Another good source are Welding supply outlets . And No my Warn Winch still cannot break a Lug Nut loose but does air up my Tires ok !
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #15

I have moved from the Power Tank mentality to Viair.

Infinite air up.
I am doing the Extreme Duty dual 350C compressors & 2 gallon tank.
100% duty cycle & 2.68 cfm. Rated for 37" tires. Should be good for my 33's.

I am visiting Phoenix and having it installed by one bad ass dude.

Today.

I'll post up once I pick up my van.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #16

My Viair dual compressor & 2 gal tank installed.

Installed by Randy Ellis Design in Phoenix.
'R.E.D.' is a top truck challenge winner and master fabrictor.
Easy work for him.
And a lucky guy I am to run into him.
My girlfriend knows his family...
Seriously.

And living in the PNW my under carriage is a rusty mess on my less than 1 yr old van....
Old 05-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #17

Re: Power Tank DIY alternative

CO2 Air Systems for Offroading, 4x4, Desert, Sand, Construction, RV, and Commercial Use

On board CO2 tank systems offer incredible convenience to users who can air up tires faster than most any other way even when out in the middle of nowhere. No more hoping a gas station has air or a working compressor and no more buying/carrying air compressors that are costly and take quite a while to air up tires. Plus you can use these at home and you can use them to power air tools anywhere you take the tank.

A 35x12.5 tire can be aired up from 5 lbs. to 30 lbs. in under 2 minutes per tire and you can inflate your tire up to forty (40) times using a 10 pound tank (according to the companies selling the systems). By the way, it’s easy and convenient to refill your tank. CO2 tanks and refills are very common – they’re used in the beverage industry, off roading and paintball as well. Beverage companies and industrial gas companies will refill these tanks. The cost to refill typically is in the $10-$15 range (YMMV). Google “CO2 tank refilling” for more info.

Avid off-roaders usually consider CO2 systems to enable them to air down and back up anytime, anywhere and do it quickly but many have been put off by the high price. Now there's a solution that is equal to or better than the CO2 tank system suppliers at the lowest possible cost. And the good news is you can build your own system and buy all the stuff directly yourself for the least expensive CO2 tank solution.

The Good News

You can pick and choose and put together the best, most cost effective system for your needs. If you want a 10# (pound) tank, which is the most common, you can get it. And if, for some reason, you want a 15# or 20# tank, you can buy them too. It’s your choice.

Start with the tank, then choose your regulator with hardware,

Power Tank and Outback Air are the two primary companies involved in selling on board air systems. Tanks are available in different capacities (weights) and the most popular tank size is 10 pounds (which holds 10 pounds of C02). Here are some of the packages these CO2 system companies offer – these are the package prices to beat:

Powertank
PT10-5200 Basic System with 10lb. tank (“bottle”) is $389.95
POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems
And if you want a boot and a mounting bracket the package (PT10-5240) is $439.95
POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems

Outback Air
Outback Air XD CO2 System Combo (includes a bracket) is $265.00
Outback Equipped | Outback Air CO2 Systems | "Is Your Rig Outback Equipped?"

Both companies offer 15lb. tanks which are even more costly.

Powertank offers a gauge – shouldn’t the regulator have a gauge? The Powertank regulators typically come with a gauge on the regulator but the truth is no gauges are necessary since tank pressure is constant at ~800 psi when there is liquid CO2 left in the tank (the regulator will read full up until it’s empty). How do you know when to refill? You can measure what's left by weighing the tank. An empty tank with a regulator attached weighs ~15 lbs. and 13 lbs. without the regulator. So a 10lb. air tank and regulator with a fresh charge of liquid CO2 weighs ~25 lbs.

This is an a la carte solution, a menu that allows buyers to pick and choose and buy what's needed – here are the details:

Tanks

10# tank

These are brand new aluminum tanks with a CGA-320 valve (this is a standard tank and valve – the same as those used by the above industry suppliers). These are brand new aluminum CO2 tanks not reconditioned steel tanks. Every CO2 cylinder is produced from high strength aluminum alloy 6061-T6. These tanks are popular because they are not as heavy as steel tanks and they do not rust.

A carrying handle is included on the 10, 15 and 20 lb. cylinders. The service pressure is up to 1800 PSI/124 BAR with a test pressure of 3000 PSI/207 BAR. These cylinders are stamped with required U.S. Department of Transportation and Transport Canada Markings. The 320 Valves are CGA approved, and have a male thread for CO2 Regulators. Note that this supplier is in California so CA residents will be charged tax.

Tanks from BeverageFactory.com call 1-800-710-9939 ask for Jesse Glancy

10# tank is 7" diameter x 20.5" high 1800 psi – cost is $86.40
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbee ... /C10.shtml

15# tank is 7" diameter x 27" high 1800 psi – cost is $91.15
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbee ... /C15.shtml

20# tank is 8" diameter x 27.5" high 1800 psi – cost is $109.20
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbee ... /C20.shtml

5# tank (ideal for use in your SxS Rhino, RZR, etc.) $56.00
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbee ... 2/C5.shtml

Regulators

After a lot of Googling, the best regulator solution found so far is from Outback Air. Their regulators are set at 150 psi and besides being an excellent value, they don't have the unnecessary gauges which will read the same up until the tank is empty. Static regulator complete with fitting and automatic quick connect coupler included. Outback Air regulator $55.00 Outback Equipped | Outback Air CO2 Systems | "Is Your Rig Outback Equipped?"

You can order online and the contact there is Tony. You can call him at 1-800-503-0244 and you can email him at info@outbackequipped.com

Hoses

There are many (many) hose options - here are some:

A1 Coupling (www.A1Coupling.com) is in Oregon and they claim to provide or have provided hoses and hardware for both Powertank and Outback.

25’ Recoil Air Hose (PURC-14-25R-S-BR-QC) with quick coupler steel, 6-ball and plug steel industrial or automotive style. This is a spiral (coiled) reinforced hose with steel coupler plugs and brass tire chuck. 250 WPSI 4 TO 1 BURST. The hose has reusable fittings with bend restrictors both ends and the hose is reinforced. Available in a variety of colors including red, blue, yellow, and black. Hoses are made in the USA. It’s 1 to 3 days for shipping – most of the time they ship next day.

The coupler plugs are steel and they are most of the time because the SS balls in the couplers will pit a brass plug and will be hard to get apart. If you happen to want a brass 6 ball coupler it will cost about $1.00 more. Dee Evans at A1 Coupling thinks most people would use the industrial style couplers. If they want a universal coupler in brass that will work with either one it’s about $2.00 more.

The contact is Dee Evans and you can call him with questions and to place orders: 1-541-914-0606. The price per hose is $20.95 each.

Other hose options:

25’ Coilhose Pneumatics PU14-25B-B 1/4"ID x 25' Blue Flex Coil Hose With 2-1/4" MPT in neon green only $25.00 (from at the other Raptor website)

25’ UltraBraid braided straight (not coiled) hose with removable air chuck and coupler assembly $28.95
http://www.virtualoffroadcenter.com/25- ... _p_34.html

Reference info & pricing from the “Big Guys” –

Outback Air - 20’ Polyurethane coil hose (not UltraBraid) with removable air chuck is $50.00
Outback Equipped | Outback Air CO2 Systems | "Is Your Rig Outback Equipped?"

Powertank - 25’ SuperFlex Braided High Pressure Coiled Hose HSE-8080 $44.95
25' SuperFlex Braided High Pressure Coiled Hose Our price: $44.95 http://powertank.com/products/productID/48

Accessories

Deluxe inflator with gauge – 100psi gauge includes rubber gauge guard and storage bag. I recommend using Outback's Deluxe Inflator which enables you to check pressure when inflating so you don't need to switch to a separate pressure gauge and you can let CO2 out if you put in too much pressure.

$55.00 - Outback Equipped | Outback Air CO2 Systems | "Is Your Rig Outback Equipped?"

There are cheaper solutions – usually kits with a variety of cheap stuff in them – available at Lowes and Home Depot and the auto supply stores. There are also more expensive solutions (see Powertank & others).

Tank Boot

Protects the bottom of your tank and has flat sides to keep tank from rolling when lying down.
$18.69 - Amazon.com: Power Tank TBT-6090 6.9" Diameter Tank Boot for 10 lb. and 15 lb. Tanks: Automotive

Mounting Brackets

There are many tank brackets available including some designed to mount the tanks to a roll bar (popular in Jeeps).

Powertank offers a variety of brackets POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems

Kidde brand #366424 10lb. Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher Bracket online for $28.00 Kidde 366424 10lb. Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher Bracket#

A 15# tank bracket can be found here: Amazon.com: Fire Extinguisher Vehicle Bracket - 15HB Heavy Duty - 7.25"-7.5" Dia. Shells: Home Improvement

Here is a real clever solution that will allow users to mount the tank at an angle still allowing the tank to be used (they should not be used lying down) involving a mounting bracket attached to a piece of bent steel: http://www.powertank.com/graphics/mount.2.jpg You can see a number of mounting ideas here: POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems

The Savings

By going with the a la carte purchase plan here’s a package you could put together:

1. 10# tank $86.40
2. Regulator $55.00
3. Hose $20.95

Total cost of the above 3 items is $162.35 - add the $30.00 bracket and the cost is $192.35. Compare this to Outback’s $265.00 combo and you get to save $72.35

The Fine Print

Prices were correct and accurate at time of compilation of information (4/5/11). Prices, as you know, can change at any time. Prices do not include shipping or tax where applicable.

Disclaimer: This is shared information - no one is benefitting from this except the manufacturers and distributors you choose to buy from.

Post up and let us know if you find other products for these systems that you’d like to recommend. This will ensure everyone has access to the latest, greatest products. Now go air up!

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #18

Thank you for your Post , much good information to be had .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #19

Thanks! I got it from another forum, so I can't claim credit for the research. But, I though it was good info to pass on.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #20

Excellent winvest.
5-30 in 2 minutes is a number that really won't apply to our vans (maybe for Jeeps), which many are running 80 psi rated tires, and may be close to that on a daily basis.
5 psi to me and a chart I have seen for psi per weight of vehicle is very low unless in sand.
Our rigs need more than 5 psi to keep the chance of pinch flats small, plus keeping the bead on the wheel IMO.

I just finished wheeling over rocky terrain at 20 psi and my rig was quite rollie pollie at that pressure, and riding into the sidewalls a lot.
It did ride smooth at 20 psi.
25-35 psi will work good for me in the future. 35 psi worked well for my van in Death Valley to keep wash board chatter down.
Our vans are heavy.

To me 25 psi to 70 psi would be a good measure of time for the power tank.
I would guess it would still blow away (no pun really!) a compressor set-up.

From current experience (two nights ago) I would recommend upgrading from the cheap coiled plastic air hoses.
They stretch out and don't return to a tight coil and stand the chance (in my estimation) of getting cut or melted (on motor exhaust pipe) when stretched to their limit (having two could help).

Lets see a SMB owner here with their power tank measure inflate time from 20 to 70 psi on their 33" or 35" tires,
vs mfg spec times...