Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Pressing issues of the day: Best space location for Ford jack

I realize this doesn't rise to the importance of most posts on the forum but I'd like to lift it a bit in everyone's awareness since I can get jacked up about the best place to store gear in the SMB.

Since we have an underbody storage box and an Aluminess rear bumper and tire mount, we lost Ford's location for the rod that cranks the factory jack. I've tried various shortage spots and not liked any of them. The rod's handle makes it particularly hard to find a place that is readily accessible from outside the vehicle but out of the way and secure. Where do other folks stores the jacks?

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #2

Don, have you actually had to use the OEM bottle jack? It's pretty small and you need some big blocks of wood to make it work. But since you have my attention it reminds me of why it sucks. I got a flat coming back from biking at the Rainbow Rim trail on the North Rim. I changed it in the parking lot at the Lodge. My first flat on my SMB with 35" tires. I couldn't find anything nearby except crappy and irregular shaped limestone rocks. It was a no-go situation until one of the maintenance workers took pity on me and grabbed a thick Mormon bible from one of the nearby cabins which I used on top of a block of wood and put the bottle jack on that.

Anyhow, I bought a much bigger bottle jack after that experience. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ll-in-one-jack

I store it in the underbody storage box.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #3

I carry too much crap, but in my SMB I think I had the factory jack, hi-lift on the front bumper and two cheap bottle jacks. The time or two I needed one the best option was using both of the bottle jacks and various leveling blocks and firewood I had on board. You're right though, Don, the big OEM jack rod is a bugger to store. Do you not have a long space under the gaucho? That's where I kept all of my jacks and long......implements.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Don, have you actually had to use the OEM bottle jack? . . . But since you have my attention it reminds me of why it sucks. I got a flat coming back from biking at the Rainbow Rim trail on the North Rim. I changed it in the parking lot at the Lodge. My first flat on my SMB with 35" tires. I couldn't find anything nearby except crappy and irregular shaped limestone rocks. It was a no-go situation until one of the maintenance workers took pity on me and grabbed a thick Mormon bible from one of the nearby cabins which I used on top of a block of wood and put the bottle jack on that.
Similar to my experience. My one flat was on a single lane, steep, canted rocky road above Silverton, CO. The road was slick from an ongoing drizzle and the tire was on the downhill side of the slope, of course. No room to stand, I had to position myself on the hillside below the car (the jack was at eye level) and trust that that day wasn't going to be mine.

Quote:
Anyhow, I bought a much bigger bottle jack after that experience. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ll-in-one-jack

I store it in the underbody storage box.
I've thought about a new bottle jack. How do you lift yours? Back to the Colorado experience, I've got everything stored in the vehicle's exterior. Not excited about disrobing the van to get to the jack & it's tools.

Off topic, we'll miss Expo this year. Hopefully we can get to your neighborhood for a visit later in the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I carry too much crap, . . . You're right though, Don, the big OEM jack rod is a bugger to store. Do you not have a long space under the gaucho? That's where I kept all of my jacks and long......implements.

Speaking of too much crap, our aisle is filled when we're fully packed. (We have a galley-style layout.) As I said to Joe, disrobing for emergency work is less than optimal. We'd have to put up a tarp or our base camp tent if we were in a storm. I used to store everything in the front bumper but after we pulled the water heater and added an exterior door, the tire tools are available from the outside. Except the rod. It migrates around the vehicle depending on my mood.

Your gaucho comment makes me think I could store it behind the gaucho. That's easily accessible. Thanks.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #5

Garage
What about alongside the frame somewhere? I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to use q couple p clamps and some of the existing holes in the frame to attach it, or just some hefty zip ties.

I will say this, I had a flat once while towing with my f250 and called my insurance who sent a guy out with a bunch or air tools and had my tire changed in no time. All I had to do was get the lug key out of the glovebox. Unless I'm in some back country I won't hesitate to do that again.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
What about alongside the frame somewhere? I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to use q couple p clamps and some of the existing holes in the frame to attach it, or just some hefty zip ties.
Yeah, that's a nice idea. Less stuff inside, out of the way, but accessible. Just need to be sure it's very securely bound.

Don

Old 05-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #7

I use a six ton bottle jack along with a Safe Jack starter pack.. Also keep two short pieces of 2x6 in the jack bag. Used it last weekend to jack up the van so I could get underneath it. Worked really well. Am no longer carrying the Ford jack or rod.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
I use a six ton bottle jack along with a Safe Jack starter pack.. Also keep two short pieces of 2x6 in the jack bag. Used it last weekend to jack up the van so I could get underneath it. Worked really well. Am no longer carrying the Ford jack or rod.
Above my pay grade but looks like a nice package.

EDIT: I was looking at the $800 WiFi-enabled jack with bluetooth surround sound. The mere mortal versions look much more reasonable.

Don

Old 05-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #9

Safe Jack has occasional 15% off sales. Watch the site around Expo time. IIRC that is when they go on sale.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #10

Quote:
My first flat on my SMB with 35" tires. I couldn't find anything nearby except crappy and irregular shaped limestone rocks. It was a no-go situation until one of the maintenance workers took pity on me and grabbed a thick Mormon bible from one of the nearby cabins which I used on top of a block of wood and put the bottle jack on that.
I gotta think you are the first person to ever jack up an SMB using the Book of Mormon. Possibly the first person in any vehicle to do so.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote