Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 05:35 PM   #11
Site Team

Travel with someone else. (Only half kidding).

Herb

Old 10-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #12

Ok quite a lot of info here. I HEAR YA on not travelling alone but I often do to meet people at destinations - usually avoid remote areas. My kids and I trade route info (on pavement, campsites etc). This year in Central PA and WV I've experienced a LOT of road time without cell service tho, so it takes dedication to keep route info updated (go figure, must update on the hill tops).

To be honest I've not tried to do a tire change drill yet and not sure I could without a torque wrench. I'd like to spend a geek week in the field learning recovery methods but will have to beg time from a some youngsters back in SE ohio. I'm not opposed to attending organized events for that- a few days spent problem solving off road sounds like fun days- learn skills and good company. (Tho I recall from some technical rescue seminars in the past that the pressures don't always bring out some people's best )

So for the items noted in this thread, can we run a count of which require mounting on the van body?
Old 10-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #13

Recovery & Security Gear

I have:

A 12K lb winch up front
30K lb recovery strap
26.5K lb tree saver straps (2)
Metal shackles 13.5K lb (2)
Soft shackle 32K lb
Hitch receiver shackle 9.5K lb
Snatch Blocks 17.6K lb (2)
High Lift Jack with base & wheel lift attachment
Bottle jack
MAXSA Escaper Buddy (Maxtrax knockoff) (one pair)
ARB EZ Deflator
ARB tire repair kit
VIAIR 400P compressor
Shovel/axe combo
Tool Kit
Tire chains (2 sets)
Gorilla Tape
Zip ties
Gloves
Flares

I haven't had to use most of this yet but I should be ready if the need arises. I'm thinking about a satellite messaging device of some sort but need to do some research. I'm also thinking about a safe jack to replace the stock bottle jack. I should also add hose clamps to the kit.

I've wondered sometimes about adding a rappelling harness to the kit along with some rope & carabiners. Anyone ever use their winch with a harness to pull anyone up a cliff? Likely not a good idea since the winch could fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #14

Good thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I keep in my van:
1- 20' long 20k lb tow strap (no built in hooks!)
1- 30' long 30k lb tow strap (no built in hooks!)
2- screw pin type shackles, need to double check their capacity
1- enormous pulling shackle that is big enough to wrap around a leaf spring eye
5/8" hitch pin
"D" handle shovel about 3' long
A pair of leather gloves
That's really close to my list. I don't have the huge shackle, but do have a block that fits in the receiver with a shackle mounted on it. That said, I've never personally seen a pin bent to the point where it won't come back out, and they are much smaller and cheaper.

I'll note that a shovel is probably the single most useful tool, after airing down and thinking about the problem fully, slowly and carefully _before_ getting back in the vehicle and making it worse.

A shovel is the one thing I also carry in any car I'm driving in the snow. (In addition to mandatory cables/chains.) I use it every so often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I need to come up with a secure mounting method for my 60" Hi-Lift and it will make its way inside too.
I have one mounted on my roof rack. Someone told me I really needed to carry one if I ventured out on rough roads, so I bought one. Honestly, the thing has more than a little potential to be dangerous, so I certainly wouldn't reach for it first. If you're going to use it to pull, you really need to carry a bunch of chain as well. I don't regret owning it, I've used it plenty to pull fenceposts and the like out of the ground. However it's mostly mounted on the van because it's large and that's a great place to store it.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote