Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #11

Re: Remote start

Quote:
I'm not sure which model I'm after but I like the idea of having a remote start you can program to run for a set time then shut off. It would also be nice if you could program it to start at a specific time.
Our system doesn't have a programmable start time but it has a cold weather feature that starts the engine every 3 hours and runs it for 20 minutes. Keeps the oil from turning to Jello over nite in arctic conditions.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #12

John,

Just try to get one of the DEI brands from that link...All of them are good and DEI requires their dealers to have at least some training...Many have adjustable run times as well as temperature command start up, too cold or too hot...

Try any reputable car audio place for your install...Shop around and get some different prices...Myself I would stay away from places like Best Buy and Frys for Remote start installs...You could do it your self better than some of those places...Also be sure to tell them what they are installing it into some places might not want to or be able to do a van...Here are some DEI dealers near you... I used 97211 but you can put in your zip to see if there are any others...

http://www.directed.com/Contact/WhereTo ... 7211&b=All

Just remember you can get remote start and or alarm..if you only want remote start it will be less expensive...
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #13

Spend the $50
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #14

Car Toys did a nice install on the Satellite system on my mom's Jaguar. It's a 4-hour job to remove the dash, and Car Toys still charged the the flat $50 install fee. I could have done it, but $50 was well worth 4-hours of my life, not to mention avoiding the risk of me breaking the special dash clips.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #15

Jamie- Thanks for all the links. The store I talked to was a Stereo King shop that was on the list of approved DEI/Viper installers. I'll probably go back there since the guy spent the time with me already. That and they are right across the street from the Clackamas Town Center Mall. I can kill time during the install walking through REI and the tool isle at Sears

B- Which car toys did the work for your mon? The Jantzen Beach one is the closest to me but every time I drive by they seem real busy. Both a good and a bad sign. Good because if they screwed up a lot they wouldn't be busy and bad because it could take longer to get in line to get the work done.

Marc- Yea....Yea...Yea.....I'll spend the $50....plus what ever it cost me to get out the door at REI and Sears.

Greg- Thanks for the offer. I've got a feeling I'm going to be adding a house battery with inverter system to the van soon and may need to borrow your crimp tool again. I'll be in touch....

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #16

"Spend the $50"....yea right. John the salesman that was helping me had a big smile on his face when he said "I was able to keep you under a Thou$and". It cost me $987 to walk out the door almost 5 hours after I walked in.

But I now have a button I can push while laying in bed to start the engine and warm things up.

$987 for a button you may ask.....Well, did I mention I upgraded the Stereo a bit?

Viper 5501 remote start
Alpine 45 watt amp/power pack
Kicker 2 way all weather speakers with a quick disconnect plug by the back door so I can have sound outside. The cables are 22' long so I have enough to run to the front or side doors.

About 6 months ago I had another shop replace the stock stereo and speakers with a new JVC deck and 4 new kicker speakers. It never really worked right and that install guy said I had a ground problem. The only way to fix it was to run new wires to all 4 speakers. I passed on the job at the time. I thought the replacement deck just didn't have enough juice to run the speakers. Today since they were going to be under the dash with the remote start I had them add the Alpine 45 watt amp/powerpack. Robert the install guy hunted me down and said we had a problem. It seems my van had a common ground for the speakers. No workie with new system. He ended up running new wires to all 4 speakers. Since he was running new wires I had him wire a quick disconnect by the back doors so I can plug in the 2 way all weather Kickers for campground party music. I also paid a labor upgrade charge for a mil-spec wiring job. Everything is soldered and they used heavy duty connecters. The all weather speakers will only be hooked up when I need outside music.

TONS of difference from the old sound setup. Money well spent in my world where music helps keep me sane and awake when I go long on the road.

Hats off to Robert the install guy at Stereo King at the Portland/Clackamas store. Excellent work. He even understands my dislike for Cheese. Just say no to a half assed cheesy wiring job!

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #17

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #18

“SOUNDS” great! Enjoy!
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #19

Remote start

So if SK was about $1k how did you do at Sears and REI? Did Robert find you at the wandering in the mall?

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #20

I've been doing a bunch of stuff like this myself recently on multiple cars (consider that rote wiring jobs are somewhat therapeutic in that they don't require me to use my brain too much, and I end up with tangible results). My initial reaction was surprise at what you paid, but after adding up the pieces and thinking about the time it would take me (I'm guessing closer to 8 hours), I think you got a reasonable deal. If they did indeed do a good job with the wiring, then every extra dollar is well spent.

See if you can get the to spend 5 minutes with you (if they have not already) and give you a quick run-down explaining where they ran every wire and what they spliced into. Chances are they did it right, but if something fails, that information will save you the initial two hours of debugging that come before a 10 minute repair.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote