Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #11

I ended up getting that rack I mentioned two replies ago, and Yakima bars to hold it.

I kept the whole thing, so it has a "visor" look to it. A few notes if anyone else tries this:

1. The rack itself wants at least 15" between the bars to get the plates / screws that hold it onto the bars to work as intended. I figured out how to get it on with significantly less space between, but the screws do loosen after bumpy roads. So far, it's not been an issue and I just check them every time I load it back up (which for us is daily.)
2. The Yakima bars loosened every day for about 3 weeks. Not drastically, but I also check those after I load it every time to see if they can be tightened a bit more. Friends who've had ski racks, bike racks, etc. say this is common, so it's best to just check them regularly.
3. This rack sounds like a thunderstorm on your roof if you drive with it empty.
4. I also got this mesh type net that is made for the rack, to hold things in. If I hadn't, we would have no stuff left as things will fly out if not secured. Probably a common sense issue but for those of us who don't hold onto our change as well as others...

We keep a cot, two medium-sized camping chairs, two of those little triangular chairs, a bag full of swimming gear, life vests, a hose, a large screened in tent, a small fire grill and a bow and arrows in it and haven't lost anything yet.

Pretty satisfied all around as the less I have to load in and out every time we drive or pack up, the happier this camper is.

wandrly is offline   Reply With Quote