Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #1

Roof Rack/Tracks

Anyone have a recommendation for roof rack/track systems such as yakima,thule or rhino racks.

robertg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:45 PM   #2

We went with the Yakima/Thule tracks that use the T nuts/bolts. Low profile, and it works for us. They run nearly the full length of our CCV med top. I have the solar mounted to it as well as the Mega Warrior Basket.

Uni-strut can also be used. More stout, higher profile.

Almost any aluminum track can be used. search Aluminum T track and you will see lots of alternatives.

Is this going on a Pop Top, fixed top? If you are having to accommodate roof curvature the Yakima Thule track may conform better. If flat, then whatever track works for your equipment.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #3

Thank's, its going on a pop top and I also have a solar panel which I want to re mount it to also. Do you know if the tracks are specific to each brands accessories?
Old 07-12-2019, 12:11 AM   #4

The Thule and Yakima tracks are identical. Any correct size T nut or bolt will slide in the track. Both companies make “feet” that will be track compatible.

Our solar mount, which I did, is 2 x 2x 1/16” thick aluminum angle. It is attached to the tracks with bolts and t nuts. The vertical is bolted to the solar panel frame.

If you heading into the city, stop by.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:20 AM   #5

Thanks' for the info, I will!
Old 07-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #6

Be sure to use stainless steel screws when mounting the tracks to the roof. You may also want to put a bead of caulk at each screw location. Stainless so the screws do not corrode. Caulk so they do not leak.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #7

I will, thanks'
Old 07-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #8

To all, I ordered some open box Yakima tracks from (Rack Attack), bought enough to run the length of the top so I can move and maybe add an additional solar panel with rack equipment flexibility. Thanks to all.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:42 PM   #9

I just installed 71" rhino tracks on my penthouse. I drilled outside of the canvas and didn't worry too much about the racks being parallel. They're about an inch wider in the front, but I don't move the crossbars around much especially once my roof box is up there.

The only downside I found with the rhino tracks is that they have some extra width on the outside edge. I don't believe this is a structural problem, it just leaves a small gap on this edge. I don't believe anyone but me (the installer) will see the gap.

These tracks come with o rings and small butyl patches for each screw. I added a full length strip of butyl tape. We'll see how it holds up.
jamesc is offline   Reply With Quote