Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2022, 07:08 PM   #11

iPhone 14.

No subscription required.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/...one-14-lineup/

Old 11-17-2022, 09:56 PM   #12

At the present time the iPhone 14 cannot really be compared to an inReach. With the iPhone you have to trigger the SOS and then constantly point the phone at the satellite. The iPhone only talks to the satellites when an SOS is triggered. The inReach is always talking to the satellites and does not need to be aimed at the satellites.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliesmom View Post
We have an InReach for backpacking and hiking, but have recently purchased a Starlink RV package for use in the van.
I noticed in your picture that the antenna appears to be pointed towards a certain area in the sky. Does the antenna require pointing in a direction, or could it just be mounted flat on the roof of the van in a sort of ‘set and forget’ approach?
tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 05:06 AM   #14

Garage
The Starlink dish orients itself toward the northern sky when it turns on and begins tracking satellites. It requires a “clear view” of the sky, so trees, or high mountains in surrounding canyons, for example, can interfere with the signal. When you set it up in a location, the Starlink app helps you “look” at the sky to determine the optimal location.
The RV package is geared to stationary use, but many users have reported access to the internet while driving with the Starlink dish mounted on the roof. The new mobile plan, allows for flat mounting using a different, high performance dish which provides a wider array of of tracking the satellites for reception while in motion. This new hardware costs $2500 (as opposed to $599 with the stationary antenna). The user fee is $135 per month for either plan. The monthly fee is able to be suspended, so you don’t pay for service when you don’t require it. When you activate your plan, Starlink provides 30 days of service. There is no prorated fee when you start/suspend your service.

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:31 AM   #15

Zoleo

I went with the Zoleo satellite communicator. It was cheaper than the Garmin and according to reviews easier to use. I've had it for a couple months and it seems to work well.
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:28 PM   #16

Quote:
The RV package is geared to stationary use, but many users have reported access to the internet while driving with the Starlink dish mounted on the roof. The new mobile plan, allows for flat mounting using a different, high performance dish which provides a wider array of of tracking the satellites for reception while in motion. This new hardware costs $2500 (as opposed to $599 with the stationary antenna).
Thank you.

I gather the RV antenna is not designed for mobile use but may work, but if you want true mobile use, you’re looking at a $2500 upfront cost. That’s not ideal, but I have many times found myself without cell service, and no easy way to navigate,. Maybe the price will come down in a bit, fingers crossed. 🤞

Would you happen to know the dimensions of the $2500 antenna, and whether it can remain flat while moving or if it Hass to be elevated and seeking north when driving? That could make a big difference.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:41 AM   #17

Garage
Here’s the data from Starlink on the flat high performance dish for mobile applications.

22.7” x 20.1”
STARLINK

Antenna Electronic Phased Array
Orientation Fixed
Environmental Rating IP56
Snow Melt Capability Up to 75mm / hour (3in / hour)
Operating Temperature -30°C to 50°C (-22°F to 122°F)
Field of View 140°
Average Power Usage 110-150W
Wind Rating Survivable: 280 kph+ (174 mph+)
Mounting Wedge Mount Kit Included

The dish is designed to be in a fixed mounted location. It has a slight wedge for a tilt but is not elevated.
https://www.starlink.com/specifications?spec=3

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Here’s the data from Starlink on the flat high performance dish for mobile applications.
Thank you very much Charlie’smom. After digging through Starlink’s online literature, I didn’t come close to the information that you provided. Huge help.

I’m trying to lay out the roof equipment and need to make sure that I don’t paint myself into a corner. Thanks again for your help!
Old 11-19-2022, 10:54 AM   #19
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Satellite Communicator's

Tonka, if mapping and navigation is your top motivation for getting a satellite or the RV unit from Starlink, I might suggest you take a look at Gaia maps, you can download entire areas, big or small, for offline viewing and real time navigation. I have all of my downloaded maps of areas in state by state folders right on the app for offline viewing, works nicely with CarPlay through an aftermarket head unit too.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:01 PM   #20

I agree with REF on using GAIA for mapping. If you know ahead of time where you will be, then download the maps for the area and you have what you need.

In our travels, we often don't know where we will be and sometimes plug in this little Dual receiver unit and connect to our tablet for real-time navigation. Works really slick but it too is not cheap. There are other options for the receiver but we went this way from online recommendations either here or on Expo.

Best I could do linking the items. I'm techno challenged, but am smart enough to be able to use this unit.

https://images.mypilotstore.com/hr/9473-highres.jpg

https://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/9473