Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2022, 04:57 PM   #1

Satellite Communicator's

Looking for info about GPS etc. satellite communicators. Can anyone recommend a brand or type that is the most appropriate for back country travel? Thanks.

dogsandcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:26 PM   #2

We have no personal experience but talked to several that rav about starlink for handling all there back country communication needs.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:47 PM   #3

We use a Garmin inReach. Pairs with your phone so you have full access to your contacts for text messaging. Location information is sent as part of the text message. Have used to to send my camping location information to someone who was running late for our trip.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 10:05 PM   #4

Garage
Also use a Garmin InReach device. Find the ability to text while in the backcountry valuable both as a safety measure and piece of mind. Texting with just the unit is rather cumbersome, but when paired with a smart phone quite convenient. My unit requires a monthly subscription of about $13. The SOS feature allows for communication directly with personnel who will route the call to appropriate entities.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:27 PM   #5

For years used a SPOT when off roading on two wheels. (findmespot. com) I wouldn't recommend them today as I think there are better choices like the above mentioned Garmin InReach. The SPOT we used was limited to three pre-defined messages that goes to family or friends.

1. Everything is great, just checking in to say Hi
2. Oh Crap, I am screwed, send help but at least I am physically ok
3. Ah Geez, send a helicopter with a basket. (this also notified Search and Rescue)
SierraVanCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 10:48 PM   #6

I also use the Garmin InReach. An excellent way for others to keep track when I share my trip. I've used the InReach for help when I was far away and stuck in deep, deep mud! Very consistent coverage and long battery life.
Adventure4Vets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 05:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraVanCampers View Post
For years used a SPOT when off roading on two wheels. (findmespot. com) I wouldn't recommend them today as I think there are better choices like the above mentioned Garmin InReach. The SPOT we used was limited to three pre-defined messages that goes to family or friends.

1. Everything is great, just checking in to say Hi
2. Oh Crap, I am screwed, send help but at least I am physically ok
3. Ah Geez, send a helicopter with a basket. (this also notified Search and Rescue)
We have a spot that we got about 3 years ago and it has a full keyboard and you can send any message (text/email) but it is a clunky device compared to any modern phone. Kind of like the keyboard was designed in the 80's, heavy push buttons. Anyway, it does work and we pay a yearly subscription of $100ish I think.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:48 AM   #8

Garage
We have an InReach for backpacking and hiking, but have recently purchased a Starlink RV package for use in the van for an internet connection when cell service is poor or unavailable (which has become for frequent the further “afield”we go). We have only tested it at home and used it once when our Cox internet provider was “down.” We will take it with us for our upcoming Death Valley trip in December. Although Starlink is expensive for the hardware (dish and router), the monthly service can be activated and deactivated when you are not going to be off grid.
Attached Thumbnails
0AC051FA-98A3-4645-BC62-2422F112D105.jpeg  

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:16 AM   #9

Ditto the others that use the Garmin InReach. It is useful for creating routes, prior to an outing, and waypoints, following a route or creating one as you go. You can also track your movement and share with others. I use the InReach much for messaging, when cell service is not available or the signal too weak to be of use. It has an SOS button, in case of an emergency. There are various levels of coverage one can subscribe to and you can choose to have continuous coverage or turn it on and off on a monthly basis, if you like.
KenInRockwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:22 PM   #10

Another nod to the in reach. If you use iOS devices it can also act as a Bluetooth antenna for better GPS reception when using something like Gaia on an iPad or iphone in the van.
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote