Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2021, 11:58 AM   #1

Scan Guage or...?

Hi guys,
Having a Hydro Tuner installed and a couple of people mentioned keeping an eye on the exhaust gas temperature to be sure things are not getting too hot with the new tunes.

I'm assuming a scan-gauge will cover this. Are there any other alternatives to the scan gauge? I thought I saw a thread a while back where people were mentioning another gauge that gives the same info with a better readout interface. Can't find the thread and the forum search function is not pointing me in a good direction.

What temperature range should you keep an eye out for as far the EGT goes?

Old 03-18-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Hard to beat the price of the scan gauge and did own one years back but it didn't have a feature for EGT's. IIRC the newer ones are programmed for it. The shop that did my engine during the bullet proffing installed the sensor for my EGT Autometer gauge. My caution alarm is set to 1200 and try not to go higher. Usually I can down shift and run a higher RPM to sneak the EGT down a bit. The right tune also seems to help keep the EGT down a bit. This is on a Bullet Proofed 6.0 PSD.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:30 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DosMars View Post
Hi guys,
What temperature range should you keep an eye out for as far the EGT goes?
I'm no expert, but I have found the answer to that question Varies widely - lot of knowledgeable contributors on numerous different Forums (including this one) seem to differ slightly on opinion...BUT, if you read enough you'll probably conclude as I did that 1,200 degrees would be OK for sustained intervals. Personally I'm Ok being in that range for 1-3 minutes. As daveb mentioned, I also shift down occasionally to raise the RPM's in an effort to get the EGT's down a little.
The Scan Gauge is a great tool to easily monitor several critical functions at once, so highly recommend you invest.

Came across this a couple years ago on Diesel Garage:

Below is a quote from Gale Banks on egt's, and as much as some people don't like his programmers, he is still very knowledgeable and builds some fast vehicles.

So the big question is, what constitutes excessive EGT? If everything is working properly, 1250º to 1300º F. is a safe turbine inlet temperature, even for sustained running, mile after mile. Above 1300º F. things can start to get edgy. Remember, excessive EGT damage is cumulative. Over 1400º F., you're usually gambling against a stacked deck and it's only a matter of time until you lose. The higher the EGT, the shorter that time will be.

So 1200 is probably ok to run sustained I should think on our trucks.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:49 PM   #4

Theres a cheaper gauge called ultragauge that some people use. You can even get an app on your phone and buy a bluetooth OBDII dongle. I would say scangauge and ultragauge are the most popular though.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:58 PM   #5

Just doing a little more research and ran across the Edge Insight. I'm thinking the chatter that caught my eye may have been about this unit and how the interface is easier to read than the scan-guage. A bit pricier, but it looks like you can use it as a backup-camera monitor as well, which would help nock another item off of my to-do list.

Anyone using the Edge?

https://www.xtremediesel.com/edge-84...RoCHG4QAvD_BwE
Old 03-18-2021, 03:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosMars View Post
Just doing a little more research and ran across the Edge Insight. I'm thinking the chatter that caught my eye may have been about this unit and how the interface is easier to read than the scan-guage. A bit pricier, but it looks like you can use it as a backup-camera monitor as well, which would help nock another item off of my to-do list.

Anyone using the Edge?

https://www.xtremediesel.com/edge-84...RoCHG4QAvD_BwE
I am using the CTS3 and LOVE it! I bought one to monitor a voltage issue w/ my 6.0 and it alerted me to two other issues I hadn't been aware of. It has paid for itself several times over and I wouldn't consider not having one now.

Are you doing a tune on a 6.0 or a 7.3? I have a 6.0 and am interested in doing the same, would appreciate your feedback when you are done.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork-N-Road View Post
I am using the CTS3 and LOVE it! I bought one to monitor a voltage issue w/ my 6.0 and it alerted me to two other issues I hadn't been aware of. It has paid for itself several times over and I wouldn't consider not having one now.

Are you doing a tune on a 6.0 or a 7.3? I have a 6.0 and am interested in doing the same, would appreciate your feedback when you are done.
I've got a 7.3. Looking for something to compliment the Hydra Tuner that's being installed today.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:26 PM   #8

Garage
I have the CTS2 - have had it for a little over 4 years now, and it has also proven invaluable numerous times. I'm monitoring 8 criticals at once, very easy to interpret without being distracting. I normally don't even notice glancing over, but do realize it has/does provide confidence through the protection it affords.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #9

With these gauges do you have to run sensors, or is it pulling numbers straight off of the computer?
Old 03-18-2021, 06:00 PM   #10

Garage
Scanguages can’t tell you egt’s on the 7.3, but if you go to their site you’ll find a handful of other options specific to the 7.3 that the gauge didn’t have stock. Iirc The stock ecu doesn’t provide that perimeter so the scanguage setup can’t give you that info
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote