Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
Scepter Jerrycans

After a little discussion here on the forum I purchased two Scepter jerrycans to put in my Baja box when needed, one for diesel and one for water. It sounds like these are the jerrycans that the Aluminess (Trojan) boxes were designed to fit.

Apparently Scepter has quit selling their military jerrycans to civilians. As far as I can tell these new cans are almost the same except in a few ways.

+ They only have a single handle on top instead of 3 -- used to ease carrying multiple empty cans at once.

+ Instead of the military versions large cap with strap they have the usual small screw-on vent cap and larger two piece cap that can be used for a spout. The spout has two chambers for venting during pouring. The construction seems a little better than usual as it has an integral washer that seems to seal tightly.

+ On the diesel can the main cap has pill bottle style "child-proof" lock to keep it from coming loose. I assume the gas can does as well.

I haven't tested the seal yet. I also haven't tested the indestructible claim by driving over one like a picture on the Scepter web site. I'll be sure to post an update if I decide to. Overall the construction and design seem really good. I wouldn't hesitate to strap one to the back of my van. I'll be curious how they hold up over time.

The cans fit into the jerrycan holder on the side of the Baja box like they were obviously made for them.

You can fit two more cans inside the Baja box standing up. I think you could stack three on their sides inside the box if you really wanted to, but I only have two cans to test with. I do like the idea of being able to carry as much extra fuel as the default jerrycan box that comes with the bumper. I'm just not sure if the seals on the cans would hold up to the obvious shaking and pressure that'd be put on them. It'd be a mess if they didn't.

I've been wondering since I got the van home if I could carry a jerrycan with a 35" tire on the other swing arm. You can. It's really snug, but you can. I'm not sure you could get the jerrycan out while the swing arms are closed. I view that as a feature not a bug.

I purchased mine from Fisheries Supply in Seattle. They have the cans avaible on their online store as well. The diesel can was about $18, the water can about $15.

The jerrycans I purchased, as far as I know, are not CARB compliant. That may just be because I got a water jug and a diesel. From my reading all new fuel containers will have to be CARB compliant at some point in 2009. The gas version is more exspensive so I assume it is CARB compliant.

If you'd like to find the jerrycans somewhere else the Scepter part numbers are:

Diesel #03711
Gas #03609
Water #04933

I saw them listed as either "Jeep Style" or "Military Style." Emphasis on the word style, obviously.

Now, after this little bit of OCD overkill I will never speak of jerrycans again!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #2

My hero! Thanks for the interior shots of the Baja box and the exhaustively documented purchase.
Do you think it's safe to carry the diesel in a box that will get as hot as it will here in S. Texas?
Old 06-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #3

In my case I want the extra fuel for going north, way north. So heat won't be an issue. I did wonder about it. If you really needed to do it I just wouldn't put the lid on the box. But even without the lid heat might still be a problem, it's still a black metal box. Not sure how you'd strap down the jerrycans.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
For those looking at getting sceptre cans...

At a meeting I attended the other day, there was extensive and ironically, interesting talks about the jerricans.

As we all know scepter stopped making the cans and is only focusing on govt / military sales. If you have access to a GS catalog, i'm sure you wont have a problem. For those of us that fly the military airway, there are strict air force rules in re: to transportation of those cans by military aircraft. All of those cans are only good for air flight 5 years from the date on the can. This means there are literally hundreds of cans available that cannot be flown (primary military and US&R method). I imagine this will soon trickle down to the nearest DRMO lot, surplus store or friend of a friend.

The AFMAN24-204 military regs also require diesel containers to have 3 handles and water to have 1. This way they can be felt - for the type of can it is. All these new cans will be in either tan or od green i believe. My water & fuel sceptre cans are all TAN - the only difference is the handles. Oh yah, and you can also get them without a removable top.

Joe
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Are you sure that Scepter stopped making the cans? or is it that they are no longer selling them through retail supply chains? I thought it was the second.

The handle design requirements were in place for quite a while, and there were choices of color (yellow, red, blue) or tan for all the different cans at one point in time.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:25 PM   #6

It's the second. I think they couldn't get away with selling the military cans to the rest of us with the increasing regulations for civilian fuel containers.

I'm glad we can get something that fits for sure. I am going to look for surplus cans.