Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

SCT X4 Tuner Smog Question

Hi,
I couldn't find an answer to this in my searches so I apologize if this has already been covered. Has anyone is California installed an SCT X4 Tuner on their E-Series 4.6 or 5.4 gas van? If so, have you had any issues with smog when it comes time?
I just ordered a tuner from Mike @ 5 Star. He said it shouldn't be an issue as they can custom tune for it but I just wanted to see if there are any real world experiences that can back that up. I would hate to tune the van and then have a problem when I go to smog. I was assuming worst-case scenario just to set it back to stock a few days before I need to smog it and then take it in.
Any input from California owners would be great! Thanks!

ryry4730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #2

The sniffer test shouldn't be a big deal. If anything, you can always just load in the original stock tune when you take it in to get smogged. All tuners load in your stock tune and can resort back to it if needed.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #3

When I smogged my 2013 gasser I don't even think they ran any sniffer tests. Everything was just check the gas cap, catalytic converters, and then plug in to see if the ECM was all systems go.

My newbie moment was that I had disconnected the battery when welding the body and the van needed to be driven a while to get all it's self checks back on line. So i had to go back twice. DOH!!
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #4

Garage
In CA there are no sniffer tests from MY2000 to current. They will plug in to the OBD2 port and check to see if there are hard or pending codes. I have a tuner from 5Star as well on my V10 and it was necessary to return the van to stock and let it run through the drive cycle for a few days before taking it to test. It should be noted that all but the evap system test needs to be complete in order to pass. The other tests need to be complete otherwise they will fail you on a P1000 system readiness code. I just went though this and it took a little while to figure that out. When you return the van to the stock tune, the tuner can let you know when the tests have been run and completed so you don't have to guess.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #5

Thanks for your input, guys! I'm excited to see what it does for me...

Redoval, how do you like your tuner from 5 Star? He really seems to know his stuff so I'm hopeful that it's going to work out well.
ryry4730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryry4730 View Post
Thanks for your input, guys! I'm excited to see what it does for me...

Redoval, how do you like your tuner from 5 Star? He really seems to know his stuff so I'm hopeful that it's going to work out well.

For the V10 platform it's a must-do in my opinion. The shift calibration from Ford is not nice to drive daily compared to the updated tune from 5Star. I can't speak to the effectiveness on the v8 platforms, but if my experience is even close I'd say it's certainly worth the money

Scott
Old 11-30-2016, 02:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
For the V10 platform it's a must-do in my opinion. The shift calibration from Ford is not nice to drive daily compared to the updated tune from 5Star. I can't speak to the effectiveness on the v8 platforms, but if my experience is even close I'd say it's certainly worth the money

Scott
Which tunes did you get?
Old 11-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Which tunes did you get?
I got the 87 economy, 87 tow, 87 performance, 91 tow, and 91 performance. I run the 87 performance daily and it is quite nice and snappy compared to stock with drastically improved shift schedules and what feels like improved power according to my butt dyno. My van runs 3.73 rear gears which should be a crime on the V10 platform due to the engine powerband tuning, but it's a lot better than stock and worth the investment. The tuner also provides a comprehensive dashboard and interaction with the ECM that some would likely find interesting. I stared at an engine dyno/tuning console for many years so that stuff is what I like to see! My dash, pictured below, is a little busy but easy to keep tabs on the important stuff.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
20160408_163626.jpg  
Old 11-30-2016, 06:54 PM   #9

Thanks! I've been wanting to get a tune for a while and was trying to figure out which ones to get. I think just the three 87 tunes you have would be fine for more since I don't see myself putting 91 in my van much.

Tags
5 star, sct, smog, tuner, tuning