Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 10:31 PM   #1

spare tire bag

Hello,

I am deciding on a spare tire bag, and I am looking for advice and experiences.

I don't really need or want to use it for trash, but more for storing shoes (rain boots, ski boots) and firewood. Because of the shoes, I think that the canvas trasharoo bag is not on the top of my list. More water resistant bags from "Blue ridge overland" and the "overland gear guy" seem better suited for what I want. I think both of them are easily "unclipped" from the harnas for cleaning, storing. Any advice or experience on these bags that people can share?

Thanks! Marcel

Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:10 AM   #2

We routinely put dry stuff into our Trasharoo and they stay dry. We have driven several hours in the rain with a comforter in the Trasharoo and it arrived dry at our destination. The inside of the Trasharoo is lined with a water resistant liner so water does not seep through the canvas outer layer into the bag. It does have 2 drain grommets on the bottom of the bag so if something inside the bag were to leak it can drain out. Water does not typically get in from the top as the bag itself has a drawstring closure and then the flap that goes over the top is much wider than the drawstring closed bag. The bag is definitely not water tight, but I have no issues putting stuff in there that I would like to keep dry during a rainstorm. Is it possible that they get a little wet if the wind is whipping the rain sideways, sure. However, so far it has kept our stuff dry. We use ours to haul extra stuff to camp like firewood/blankets/etc... then we use it for trash at camp.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:47 AM   #3

Garage
^^^ same experience as above. I’ve really only used it for firewood and other than the top few pieces that I couldn’t get the top cinched down around the trasharoo has kept wood dry both while in transit and parked no matter how bad it was raining or snowing.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:46 AM   #4
Site Team

I want to like the Trasharoo, but even with little outdoor UV exposure, the straps disintegrate after a short while. I won't get another one.

Some other options are from Overland Gear Guy, and from Blue Ridge Overland Gear. I really like the Blue Ridge gear, though I don't have a spare tire bag.

Herb
Old 06-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #5

Garage
That’s a good point herb. I’ve heard the same statements from other members. Mine doesn’t live on the tire. It’s only there when in use, so I can’t comment on longevity with constant exposure.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #6

Garage
I bought OverlandGearGuy after searching the net for spare tire trash bags...T-roo has UV issues.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post268165

https://overlandgearguy.com/products...tire-trash-bag

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...guy-25252.html
Old 06-19-2020, 01:09 PM   #7

There is a company here in Vancouver Wa that is making a bag similar to the overland gear guy's. Company is "Last US Bag Company" I have no experience with it but they are popping up at different shops around town that also carry Trasharoos

https://lastusbag.com/products/oscar...31918638858318
Oly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:59 PM   #8

The Trasharoo is 1/4 the price of some other's, and will keep stuff dry. Lining it with a trash bag will certainly guarantee stuff stays absolutely dry. The down side of them is that they have minimal UV resistance, and will rot in a couple seasons if left on all the time. I once called the guy who makes them and asked if he had an option for a better material and he said "no because it would raise the cost too much, but I'll send you a free replacement" Certainly there are better bags made of superior material that will last years longer, but I simply remove mine when I'm not using it and the replacement has lasted several years, not bad at 1/4 the price of better bags.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #9

Thanks for all your responses so far; it is much appreciated!
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
The Trasharoo is 1/4 the price of some other's, and will keep stuff dry. Lining it with a trash bag will certainly guarantee stuff stays absolutely dry. The down side of them is that they have minimal UV resistance, and will rot in a couple seasons if left on all the time. I once called the guy who makes them and asked if he had an option for a better material and he said "no because it would raise the cost too much, but I'll send you a free replacement" Certainly there are better bags made of superior material that will last years longer, but I simply remove mine when I'm not using it and the replacement has lasted several years, not bad at 1/4 the price of better bags.
I certainly get that point of view, but I also don't want my bag of spare tire goodies falling off while driving because the straps were bad. I wish the Trasharoo was at least redesigned to have user replaceable straps instead of the sewn on straps.

FYI, Dave the founder of Trasharoo used to be a member here (AdventureDuo).

Herb

Tags
bag, spare, storage, tire