Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #11

Re: Spincasting rod/reel suggestion, please

Absolutely stay clear of any of the closed faced reels for use by newbies or children as they require proper and continual tension on retrieval of the line , they all have a propensity for line twist , hold reduced amounts of line and are prone to seizing up from little unknowing hands laying them down on the ground and filling them with contaminants . They as Dave mentioned will require a Level Wind type of Reel Seat which will limit your rod selection and your ability to cast a proficient distance all of which can and eventually will discourage newcomers especially children from continuing to fish . You would be much better served with the purchase of a Open Faced Spinning Reel and backpacking rod as previously mentioned , these can be had within your budget limit from reputable suppliers such as Cabelas , Bass Pro Shop etc . This time of the year is especially good for package deals .
Greggd

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

I don't know Gregg, some of the new higher end spincast reel using the correct line (and not spooled too high) have worked OK for me. Yes, you've got to keep them clean and I agree they will tangle but so do spinning reels. Now I will say I don't use them on a constant basis because they are so easy to tangle. I keep them on board for those who don't know how to cast. If you can teach a kid to learn how to cast a spinning reel then that is by far the way to go. If I were teaching simple trout fishing to a kid, I'd probably use a spinning reel/rod combo and do the casting for them. Cast and sit fishing with a kid only requires adding weight and some bait, then give it a toss. That waiting for the bite often will cause the kid to give up interest. That's why I suggested going somewhere that is easy to catch something like at a fish farm. For some kids making a 20 foot cast and just reeling in a lure like a castmaster can be fun.
Now the real question, with so many grandkids did you ever have a problem with traching them to use a spinning setup? We are talking 6 year old kids.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #13

Dave ,
All of my Grandchildren have fished with Open faced Spin reels since they were old enough to actually want to fish or pretend to fish along side of their older siblings and their parents , this would put them in the 5 to 7 year old age group with four of them starting even earlier . The key to successful Open Face Spin reels is the size of a child's hands and all of my 12 started with Micro Light reels and Light to Medium Light balanced Rods .
The main reason that I find the Closed Faced reels so difficult for the beginner are the number of years in the Sport Fishing industry that I have and continue to spend as a consultant , Rep and sponsored competitor for numerous manufactures . They can and do find some value in the hands of a little more experienced individual but lack in so many other area's that I have found them to be Joy Killers . Children have short attention spans and they need tackle that is as trouble free and easy to use as possible ! Many people to whom I have given casting/fishing lessons to have commented on the joy of discovery they have found in the sharing these newly learned lessons with their children or spouses . I personally predated the Spin Rod and Reel by growing up with first the Fly Rod and secondly the Level Wind Reels some which were not Free Spools , now there is a Joy Killer !
Greggd
Old 04-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Well Gregg, I will admit that when closed face reels tangle you might as well take it off the pole and worry about it at home where an open face can be un-tangled in the field much easier. Teaching kids to cast is a real job. Guess it depends on how much time you spend working with them. Still I keep an open face in my Bass boat for those few that need such a rod & reel. I grew up using one of those little monsters but have found the newer models work OK for my students. Too many people use the wrong line and over spool them. All that causes is failure with these reels. Line Tamer fluid also makes a big difference. My setups run between 300 and 500 bucks each and work very smooth. Still line tangles.

Mike, maybe you can get your kids to try an open face reel. Rather than cast overhand, they might pick up an underhand toss much easier. The last kid I had to teach was my nephew who was about 9 and he did OK with an open face spinning reel.

I'd avoid using braided or super lines (such as spider wire) until they are old enough to understand the dangers of some of these lines. Some of it is so strong it can cut finders deeply if you get caught up in it.

I still say cast for them until they are old enough to cast themselves. Try a bobber now and then...kids seem to like that. If that is the case an open face setup is the way to go. If they can't get the hang of it try the closed face.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #15

Thanks for all this info - I have a lot to learn! I went with the little spincasting reel I mentioned in an earlier post (before you posted about the closed-face reels, Greggd!) and I think (hope!) it will work out fine. I think no matter what, it's a nice excuse for me to spend some time with the boys. If the line tangles, we'll go get fish and chips together

But I'm pretty excited about fishing, so here's hoping all the gear works great and we all have fun! I'll report back on this thread once we've gone out fishing the first time.

Happy fishing to you guys, too!
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #16

As Dave pointed out the single greatest aid with the Closed Faced Reels would be the proper Monofiliment for the given size of that model Reel as well as the best quality supple line that you can afford and that means the discarding of the frequently loaded line that comes with the reel . Years ago while sponsored by DuPont Stren I worked with Zebco Reels in the R&D dept. trying to find the cause for so many returned reels that we're seemingly brand new and virtually unused with failed line retrieval mechanisms . The culprit turned out to be long term storage in warm climes , warehouses and distribution centers that were not rotating existing inventories and allowing for heat degradation while still in the factory packaging . They changed the packaging Including a new Skue type system and problems went away ! I am sure that Dave and all of the other experienced Fisherman on the Forum would agree that regularly changed line is one of your least expensive keys to success .
Sorry all if I rambled a bit much on this subject .
Greggd