Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to lobo_q3a
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I think the challenge would be coming up with an appropriate message.

"Either I'm OK or an indigenous person is pushing buttons over my dead body."

Problem is it's just not funny after the 3rd or 4th update.

ha! too funny. still it seems more fun than an EPIRB which should only be used in dire need.

biometrics!

well that wouldn't work either because they'd have your fingers (presumably).

lobo_q3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
Oni

Just a little bump.

I bought one of these last week as I go dual sport motorcycle riding in a lot of areas where there is no cell coverage. With the places some of you adventurous SMB'ers go, one of these is a pretty good idea IMHO.

While not as reliable as a real PLB which uses a different sattellite network, this is just one step down IMHO, and a lot cheaper than a Sat phone. A real advantage is being able to send out "I'm OK messages" instead of only being able to send out 911 type help calls

I think I have convinced Canyonclan to get one and we are including each other on the "help" contact list...to be used for non life threatening...but still need some help situations. Maybe something like a high pressure oil pump failure and the van won't start and I'm 25 miles from the nearest highway type scenario. I can see where he is on the map and direct AAA to his location.

I heard the 911 button get routed to their "control center" where they attempt to contact you and contact your emergency contacts while trying to contact the appropriate agency near your location for rescue response. They supposedly keep your emergency contacts advised on the status of the rescue. There is a a space on the website where you register the device where you can input pertinent data...like medication allergies, blood type etc. That gets pulled up by the control center when 911 button is activated to give more information to reponding emergency crews.

I thought that was a good idea! Instead of just getting a distress call, they will have some more information that may be vital in case of a real emergency and save precious time.

Figure it can be used to help meet up too. 1st person finds a cool place to camp...hits the "OK" button and people coming later can get the location and put it in their GPS and go right to the camp spot.

If you can afford a PLB...get one. The Spot is a relatively cheap way to keep in touch when out of cell range and one more safety related tool. After the initial purchase price of ~$150, it is only $100 a year for unlimited messages.

For me the primary reason was for long rides or other trips where there is limited or no cell phone coverage to be able to send the wife "I'm still alive" messages for peace of mind.
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
"Either I'm OK or an indigenous person is pushing buttons over my dead body."
This is about what happened to me. I had an EPIRB was stolen in Madagascar, and the new owners evidently did not know what it was. Over the next year they activated it three or four times-- maybe they were using the strobe for a light effect at a party-- and the Coast Guard would call us each time to confirm that it was still stolen.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #14

We've had one for about a year now. Has never let us or our family down. Works great.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote