Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2007, 10:05 PM   #1

Stove Cooking for long periods (Rice, boiled potatoes)

I was reading a recipie for potatoes and it said "boil 30 to 35 minutes" and I was wondering how everyone cooks items like rice, or hardboiled eggs etc.

Basically anything that will eat the butane canister on the portable stove (And how long do those things last anyway? Both the ones the PO gave me ran out after a few quick meals)

Old 08-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #2

Garage
I will never attempt to cook anything like that on the road, unless hooked to shore power, which likely won't ever happen. I precook it at home, or buy ready made meals at Trader Joes or the local deli counter. Then it's just a two or three minute zap in the micro, and the cleanup is so much easier and faster.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #3

Fire.

Seriously though. A campfire and a good rack/griddle is still my favorite stove. the PIT-2-GO makes it easy to have a small, hot fire which you can boil or dutch oven over for as long as you want.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
I second what Buji said and can really recommend dutch oven cooking. I got converted while my son was in Boy Scouts. With a good dutch oven and a handful of charcoal briquet's you can cook some amazing meals -- everything from pot roasts to vegetarian curries, lasagna, lethal deserts, and tons of other thing. Plus you can use the things for "normal" cooking -- your boiling or baking potatoes, rice, etc. You just need one of those fancy chimney's or an old coffee can to get the charcoal going and you're set.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:31 AM   #5

Boiling

I would concur with what Buji and Veogeo have said. Outside fires with dutch ovens are the way to go with anything that requires a lot of heat. The dutch oven makes up for the lack of an onboard oven in the SMB. Portable butane stoves just don't put out enough BTUs to boil stuff for very long.

And a note about boiling on the built in propane stove in an SMB. Although we never boil water for very long inside (for coffee, dishwater or pasta) I was amazed at how hot the underside of the propane stove got in the cabinet beneath the metal stovetop. After realizing this, I removed any cook gear that was not metal from the under stove cabinet, which had some plastic plates and matches (gak!) stored there. Now it contains just metal pots, metal plates and metal kitchen utensils; nothing that can be damaged by heat.

Ed in Montana
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
You can also get small pressure cookers that work on a backpacking stoves that'll work for small quantities. I've never used one so can't offer an opinion on how well they work.

Backpacking stoves like the JetBoil also boil water really quickly. Though the larger group version doesn't work nearly as well. I don't know how it would do on something like rice. I'd think there'd be some scorching.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
cooking

Jage a friend of mine made a cook book that has many easy recipes like this for example.

Range land beef stew.
1 small onion chopped.
1 large rib celery chopped.
9 oz beef stew meat cut cubes bite size.
2 medium carrots peeled and cut bite size.
2 medium potatoes peeled and cut bite size.
1 envelope brown gravy mix (1 0z).
1 cup water.
season salt/pepper to taste.

Place onions and celery in a 10 inch nonstick skillet. Bunch meat in center of skillet, circle meat with carrots then circle carrots with potatoes. Sprinkle gravy mix over top, add water, season, cover and cook 35-40 minutes or until done.

Here I had to figure on my own. The book says to use a flame setting that produces 1/4 inch flame. But I use a coleman stove and that would be too high. I just use a very low setting and wing it. After some practice it becomes common knowlege what to set it at. The main trick is to cover the skillet and never lift it until done. Also never stir anything so no peeking. There are various recipes such as chicken dishes with rice, noodles, potatoes and more. He does a Goulash , a ham dinner, fish, pasta, cakes (like chocolate), meat loaf, tamale pie, rice, hard boil eggs, corn bread, even chicken and dumplings. All use nonstick skillets, cook in 1 pan and most are done in less than 1 hour. He uses gravy mixes for easy prep on many of the recipes. It does not use alot of fuel but wind can be a problem. Easy cleanup and more home style than canned stuff and what not.
I still cook over a fire a lot. I pre-cook my potatoes at home then wrap in foil and stick them in the cooler. At the fire they are quicker anyway. Dave Boyer.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:43 PM   #8

Garage
I'm glad that a big part of my diet is salads and vegetables, raw or cooked!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:02 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Cooking

Jeffrey! Vegetables and salads are in the cook book too. Even though I used beef stew as an example, I was responding to Jage's original post about rice and potatoes. By being able to cook at a lower volume of fuel enables you to cook a variety of foods in a method that might be effective for many, including cooking vegetables. I just like a variety of foods, and I get enough of salad during the week. Unfortunately my doctor disagrees and my heart is upset that I still like eggs, beacon, and potatoes, but that's a different method of cooking :-)
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #10

Where can we get this cookbook?
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote