Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #21

While there may be a problem with my butane stove, its really more a matter of BTU's. The coleman fold n' go puts out 10,000 BTU and the SMB butane stoves are rated at 7,000 BTU. Pretty big difference.

While the JetBoil only puts out 4,500 BTU, its such a concentrated and efficient system that almost no heat is lost.

I think the SMB Butane stoves are super-cool since they fit so nicely into the side-door box. But once I found the fold 'n go fits int he same spot (actually takes up less room than 2 SMB butant stoves) I was sold.

DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #22

I always thought that the butane stoves where safer to use indoors than the propane stoves. Am I wrong in this assumption?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #23

Sounds interesting Bryan - Maybe we need to do a timed, one quart to a boil, cookoff?!?!?! Bottom line is, if you're happy with what you have that's all that matters. Good to have a discussion though so we can all find out if there's something better out there.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #24

Sweet. We'll call it the "Noodle Open" and we can crown the Mac 'n Cheese King
Old 07-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #25

<duplicate post deleted by author>
Old 07-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage
So what’s the reason behind all the iso-propane stuff on the market? I have a pocket rocket that kicks ass but is way too unstable for large pots and a more stable MSR with a heat shield that would probably melt the counter top. My Svea 123 is both a great stove for temperatre control and quality which has never failed me but white gas is not on my list of fuels to carry. I have had no trouble at 9200 feet with the SMB butane stove but it seems to eat the canisters. I always assume that it’s more difficult to boil water at higher altitudes (BTW which was a heated debate around the camp fire last time at 8K feet) from my old backpacking days. True???
I like the SMB stove for a quick, compact stove that will not melt my counter top but if there is something better that can be used on the counter top I am definately open for any suggestions of the perfect stove.

I just got back from Colorado. Guess I picked the wrong week for not for not boiling water at 12,200 feet. (That’s an airplane joke for those of you in Rio Linda).

Dave Boyer

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #27

The Coleman Fold 'n Go doesn't use iso-propane but the fact that it doesn't melt the countertop (on the rare occasions I cook inside) is a definate plus that I forgot to mention. It has little "feet" that keep the hot parts away from the melty parts.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #28

Has anyone had any problems getting their SMB option Butane stoves to light?? Ours take like 10 clicks on the dial or more and sometimes ignites the damn canister area! It's really a PITA. Also, no windscreen makes them blow out quite easily. Oh yeah and our SMB came with 2 and we've been on two trips and one of the dials already broke.

I think im going back to my Coleman dual burner again.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #29

I like my butane option, never had a problem except when I forget to pop on the canister.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #30

Yeah, we use two of the butane stoves and have trouble with one of them lighting. It's the pizo zapper what's the problem on ours. We carry a striker in the drawer if needed. The other one lights fine. There's a lot of these stoves out there by many manufacturers and I'm sure some are better then others. When ours get really cranky, I'll go shopping for others (we love 'em) and see if I can't find a better brand. You really can't expect SMB to put really good ones in a $100k rig can you???

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote