Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2008, 08:03 PM   #41

Has anyone tried this one from Brunton? It looks nice with a stainless wind guard and has 2 - 12,000 BTU burners. I think one of the original posts on this thread mentioned it.

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=423

Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #42

Steve, the Brunton stove appears to be identical with the unit we bought, under the Century brand name, at one of the REI stores in Seattle (check their web site). We got it for $20 less than Brunton's price, and a non-stainless stove was cheaper yet. We've used it on several trips and it is excellent. Our unit uses Coleman propane bottles but has a hose to connect to them, rather than a short pipe coming our of the unit. We bought a standard-to-Coleman adapter hose and thus can connect the stove to a regular propane cylinder. Got a little 5-pound cylinder at the local Home Depot. One filling costs about the same as one Coleman bottle and lasts much longer. We can use the stove both inside and outside; the wind shields work pretty well and the heat output is impressive.
1972 Mercedes 350SL with 4.5l V-8, just because
Wag more, Bark less, Play well with others.
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:14 PM   #43

With the Coleman grille/stove and the Century/Brunton are you able to adjust the flame low enough to low simmer things? As I mentioned in the beginning I have the Coleman single burner that sits on top of a green bottle. It works great for boiling water and heating things up real fast. It does not want to simmer things. If you keep turning the knob lower, just about the time you get it where you want it the flame goes out. thanks. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #44

oclv, the butane stove I have cooks everything on "Standby" which is the lowest setting, and comprable to a 3/4 turn on my coleman propane in terms of heat.

In other words, yes you can set it low but it's still a lot like cooking with a jet engine on idle.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #45

oh that's no good for making gravy. or gumbo.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #46

OCLV, our Century will burn reliably with a pretty low flame when the wind isn't too strong or when it's inside. With a really stiff breeze, and despite the wind shields, sometimes the lowest flame setting won't stay lit outside. As I recall, you can get our larger saucepan to simmer but not the little guy I use to heat water for a cup of tea.
1972 Mercedes 350SL with 4.5l V-8, just because
Wag more, Bark less, Play well with others.
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #47

I was at Scheels last night and noticed a Coleman unit that basically has two burners. What was different was that one burner was just that, a stove burner. The other burner is under a grate, as in barbaque grille. It was blue on the outside. Has anyone tried this combination stove/grille? Seems like a neat idea in that you can steam vegitables and grille a hamburger at the same time. It runs off the 16.4 oz green propane bottles. thanks. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #48

I dont think anyone has brought it up yet...but Partner stoves are one of the best i've ever used.

http://partnersteel.com/prod01.htm

We had one on our Adventure Trailer and i think im going to get one for the SMB.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv
The other burner is under a grate, as in barbaque grille. It was blue on the outside. Has anyone tried this combination stove/grille?
I have that one. I mentioned it in the portable grill thread a few days ago. The only reason I stopped using it is my allergies & vegetarianism prevent me from eating much that is worth grilling- but back in the day I used that thing 3 meals a day making veggie sausage, patties, burgers, actual veggies, grill toasted bread, tofu hotdogs. Pretty much everything but ice cream and hot cereal. I'm sure it would work well for meat too.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #50
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv
I was at Scheels last night and noticed a Coleman unit that basically has two burners. What was different was that one burner was just that, a stove burner. The other burner is under a grate, as in barbaque grille. It was blue on the outside. Has anyone tried this combination stove/grille? Seems like a neat idea in that you can steam vegitables and grille a hamburger at the same time. It runs off the 16.4 oz green propane bottles. thanks. oclv
I carry a Coleman stove similar to what you're talking about...basically a standard propane gas stove that has a grate (it also comes with a pancake grill) and the typical single burner on the other side. I think they make a smaller version now.

Works good for low heat on the burner but the grill is a little tough as far as even heat. Also the grease drains into a cup located in the bottom. Not bad but requires cleanup where as my Weber gas grill burns off everything with little to zero maintenance. I carry the big stove in my SMB trailer only. Because I can store the Weber along with a gallon propane tank in the top portion of my bumper box, space is not an issue for a BBQ. The Weber is cheap so if a bear nails it no problem. You can put 2 torch propane bottles and a 6 foot fuel hose inside of it during transport.
I also carry the Stansport 200 stove.
http://www.stansport.com/2007/productli ... amp;cid=20
I keep it in a tool bag that has all the necessary utensils along with a couple of small extra cans of propane. I like the bag because I cook outside 99% of the time and don't need to run back and forth to the van. My bag has all that I ever use to cook with minus any large pots or pans (even a small lantern). A thin single burner stove serves as an alternate to the Stansport for coffee and boiling water. Rather than using the small stove on a bottle, I use a “T” on the 1 gallon tank which is more stable. Usually the lantern takes this spot at night.

Slightly off topic but this is what’s in my bag. Of course I will miss something.

Stansport 200 stove.
Coleman single burner stove which is no longer made. They make a larger one. Coleman single mantel propane lantern.
Cheapo toaster (sets on burner).
2 Propane canisters.
Knife, fork, and spoons, plus a sharp knife.
Espresso pot.
Stainless coffee cup.
Titanium pot for boiling water and eating out of.
Stainless plate.
Paper plates.
Spatula.
Can opener.
Cutting board.
Measure cup.
Tongs (long and short).
Basting brush.
Lighters.
Insulated glove and leather gloves.
Metal skewers.
Small fireplace grill.
Propane adaptors.
Propane bottle base.

Coffee
Hair of the dog. Very important!
Non stick spray.
Several spices.
Paper towels.
Camp soap.
And it all fits in one bag making for easy access at the table.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote