Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #1

Stove suggestions

We just returned from our three week trip in the Sportsmobile. One thing that we would like to improve on our next trip is our stove. Our propane tank doesn't have an extra coupling so we are using the one pound green cylinders from Coleman for our stove. The little single burner Coleman stove that we have can't be regulated low enough for a "low simmer" without going out. Has anyone found a stove that uses the green one pound cylinders that can be regulated from high to a low simmer? Thanks. oclv

oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #2

stove

Brunton makes a nice stainless double burner that i believe will hook into a Coleman cylinder. That's what I'm about to switch to...

Bill
playVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #3

I've had good luck with low simmer with all 3 green-cylinder coleman stoves I have (cylinder top, triple & single w/ grille). The SMB supplied butane stove however- I cook most everything on "standby" becuase it's so hot and there is no lower setting.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #4

OCLV,

For extended trips, we have gone to a new set up for cooking:

Extenda flow valve on the SMB propane tank, with a 20' LPG hose. This hose has a quick connect fitting to either the Weber BBQ or a Partner 2-burner stainless cook stove. The set up works flawlessly...and is a great stress saver knowing that we don't have to buy little green bottles or butane cartridges anymore.

Most of the time I set up the stove on the fold-down door on our rear aluminess box.

-Jeff
canyonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
Did you have to add that valve?

Did you have to add that valve? That sounds like a great idea for lighting and stove use.

Joe
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:26 AM   #6

Garage
I've got the same set-up on my van as well w/ the propane quick-connect. Haven't got around to using it yet as i still need to get the extension w/ the right end to connect to my small gas grill and Coleman 2 burner propane camp stove. Been trying to only use the indoor propane stove for boiling water for coffee, breakfast etc...

Any sort of RV supply has the hoses

-d
Old 06-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #7

Re: Stove suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv
We just returned from our three week trip in the Sportsmobile. One thing that we would like to improve on our next trip is our stove. Our propane tank doesn't have an extra coupling so we are using the one pound green cylinders from Coleman for our stove. The little single burner Coleman stove that we have can't be regulated low enough for a "low simmer" without going out. Has anyone found a stove that uses the green one pound cylinders that can be regulated from high to a low simmer? Thanks. oclv
We purchased a new 2 burner Coleman propane stove recently and were disappointed. Our new stove and may of the newer camping stoves use a valve seal which has "memory". If you know what to look for you can see this in the store before you buy it. Turn the valve off, then turn to a setting. Let go of the valve and watch. The valve setting returns toward a previous setting! It is a really annoying feature. If you are trying to set it to simmer. You let go of the valve and the setting changes. The flame might even go out!

We purchased two of the SMB butane stoves with our Sportsmobile. They don't seem to have the memory feature. It is also nice that they store the canister inside the stove, so you don't have to go find it and screw several things together to get started cooking. When you turn the flame down there is a handy detent at "simmer" just before the the flame goes out. The only downside is that the canisters are hard to find. We found some at "Big 5", currently we are looking for other sources. I think we will buy a case when we find a store that sells them.

bob
Old 06-30-2008, 12:34 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
Restaurant Depot Has it

Restaurant Depot has it available by case or in packs of 4. I'd buy it for you, but I don't think you can ship bottles of butane without some sort of Hazdec. If you live in the San Diego region, I could probably get it to you! I'll find out the exact cost, but I think 4 bottles didn't cost me much at all. They also sell the stoves for anyone interested.
Joe
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:45 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Fisherman's Supply in Seattle also sells it (and a stainless steel version of the stove) at a reasonable price, but again, I don't know if they will ship it.
Bill
Old 06-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Amend the previous to read Fisheries Supply 800-426-6930
Bill