Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #1

Summer OR 2012: HOT new Outdoor & Overland Products for 2013

http://www.exploringelements.com/event- ... 2-wrap-up/

Full coverage of all the cool things that us overlanders and outdoor enthusiasts love from the Summer Outdoor Retailer show in SLC, UT.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #2

Re: Summer OR 2012: HOT new Outdoor & Overland Products for

Nice overview of OR. I need some new kayak booties the new designs look great.
4x4kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #3

I was down at the Keen Garage in NW Portland the other day and checked out a water boot Keen recently introduced to the market. It looked like it might be small enough for the kayaker crowd. I've always been impressed with Keen products and may end up picking up a pair for warmer weather boating missions.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/produ ... night!rust

Since I do most of my boating during the cold winter months and have the luxury of having lots of foot room my cold weather boot of choice is the NRS Workboot.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2338

I've also had real good luck with the New Balance Water shoe. I'm not sure if New Balance is still making them but they give me a little better traction than the NRS boot when I'm frame crawling.

The New Balance Tactical 221 looks interesting also

http://www.newbalance.com/NB-Tactical-2 ... d=footwear

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
I was down at the Keen Garage in NW Portland the other day and checked out a water boot Keen recently introduced to the market. It looked like it might be small enough for the kayaker crowd. I've always been impressed with Keen products and may end up picking up a pair for warmer weather boating missions.
I've been using my Gorge boots for a little over season, which has included probably 50+ days on the water. They have held up very well for me, and this includes a fair amount of rough terrain hiking / portaging and even some mild rock climbing. They are comfortable, and provide enough protection against impalements like sticks/rocks/roots. My only complaint is the soles are not a sticky as some of the other Keen products, and I've taken some good spills in them. I have no problems with fitting into smaller kayaks with the boots on, but I'm only a size 11. YMMV.

I do not consider them a warm weather boot however. I wear them all winter long, even when snow boating. I think they are too warm for sunny days. I wear the HydroGuides for warm weather. Even though they are a sandal, the have toe protection. The HydroGuides do have some nice stocky soles for scrambling around on slimy rocks.

Disclaimer: I am sponsored by Keen, so they gave me the boots and sandals to try out, but that did not influence my review.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #5

Keen Gorge booties are quite good, especially for rafting. I'm in the camp that believes that there is no better traction on wet rocks than 5.10 aqua stealth rubber. The Gorge booties is also way too big for my size 13s to fit into a ww kayak easily. I have used the Keen Payette booties for a long time, and have liked them overall, however they didn't hold up very well and they have very little traction on wet rocks. I currently use the 5.10 Water bootie and have really enjoyed them. (FYI: I do get many products for review and promotion and 5.10 has hooked me up with the Water Tennie)

I'm reallly looking forward to checking out the new Astral Wrastler bootie when it comes out in the fall.