Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2021, 12:24 AM   #1

Garage
Swing-away ebike rack for E350?

I've got a 2001 E350 SMB with a 4" lift and about 20" between the hitch receiver and ground when empty. I want to find a heavy duty swing away hitch mount and racks for 2 65lb ebikes. It would also be nice if they had some features that makes it easier for an old guy to load them. I drive bad back country roads regularly so it needs to be solid as possible, I will test this thing. Anyone with an old Econoline with suggestions? I'm leaning towards a RakAttach super duty mount and a 1up Super Duty ebike rack with one add-on. Anyone else just done this?

Makalu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:10 AM   #2

Not sure about the swingaway, but Yakima makes a bike rack with a loading ramp:
https://yakima.com/products/onramp

I personally run a 1up. Had it for 5 years and it is indestructible.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:12 AM   #3

E bikes are heavy. So are spare tires. What about getting a tire-carrier style bumper, and having a receiver welded to it to place the 1up rack into? You get swing away, and the rack comes on/off.
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:25 PM   #4

Garage
Yakima, Saris, Kuat, RakAttach all make swing away hitches for bike racks. Thule also made them but it looks like they have been discontinued. Each company has different fitment measurements but all will only accept 2” racks. These swing away hitches are rated ~ 200-250 lbs. capacity.
Our Transit has an Aluminess rear bumper with a spare tire and a box on swing out arms. I’m checking out the fitment of the Saris hitch at a local bike shop on Friday to see if that adapter will work for us. The bonus of the RakAttach is that they can be ordered for driver or passenger sides (in large, medium and small sizes). The large size will support e-bikes. I tried using the front bumper for a bike rack to avoid purchasing a swing away, but it was a “no go” from a driver visibility safety issue … bummer.
I have reached out to RakAttach to see if they will accommodate an Aluminess bumper. Here is the fitment dimensions from RakAttach.com
https://www.1up-usa.com/wp-content/u...MENT-REV-1.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
842FACB9-BAF3-42F7-8F7D-E79F98B18669.jpg  

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:37 PM   #5

Garage
Take a look at the Wilco Offroad Hitchswing. It’s made for offroad use and is really heavy duty. You can attach anything that fits into a hitch receiver. I’ve been using mine for several years and love it, stays on the rig full time. I also tow now and then, so appreciate the ability to still use my hitch receiver without removing the Hitchswing. Here it is on my E350:

The load limit is 350 lbs, which decreases as you move away from the vehicle. Here’s the page with info and weight limits:

https://wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchswing/
Old 11-16-2021, 07:56 PM   #6

I second the Wilco. I have not ever had one personally but it seems to be the go-to for many years now for HD/off-road rigs.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:38 PM   #7

Garage
Thanks guys. I’ll reach out to Wilco Offroad and see if it will work with my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
DD09A937-0159-4E43-8800-0331A30443AF.jpg  

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:54 PM   #8

Garage
I think I'll go with my original option, the RakAttach with the 1up option. For the extra cost I don't need the towing option of the Wilco, and the Thule Access 9037 may be a rarity soon. If I didn't insist of a swing arm there would be many more options, but there aren't too many out there that will take ebikes.
Thanks for the input, folks!
Scott
Makalu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:27 AM   #9

Garage
Just for information, I had a Wilco Hitchswing and it worked fine and held up. Sold it to a member as I no longer needed it.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #10

Rigd makes one as well

I think theirs is better than the Wilco.

https://www.rigdsupply.com/collections/ultraswing
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote