Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #1

Swing out carrier: weldable door hinges?

I'm trying to fabricate some storage on the rear (of my van, thank you).

I've got a stock bumper, so I'm going to attach 2" tubing to the ends of my hitch receiver, run them back slightly to the rear about as far as the center 2" receiver, and at the hinge points of the rear doors. Sorta like the 3 hole receivers that some RVs have.

From those mounting points I'm gonna rig swivels/hinges on both the right and left (I've got the ladder to clear on the left) to which I'm attaching two 20mm ammo boxes (the kind where the whole lid removes, about 18 wide x8 deep x15 high). I can't see them holding more than 75lbs each.

I am wondering if anyone has used weldable metal door hinges for something like this; I figure a 8" one could hold that weight; the 4" pin is .63". I'd just weld it to 2" tubing at the bottom, and onto a 2" piece of angle iron that attaches to the can. I'd like to use just one big one with some kinda way to hold it down rather than two small ones.

Any suggestions? Anyone ever go this route?

Rob

Old 09-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #2

Re: Swing out carrier: weldable door hinges?

I think welding these into the stock bumper is the best hinge idea.

http://www.comp4x4.com/Tire-Carrier-Hinges/
Millerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #3

I'm familiar with those, but at a half ton they're massive overkill for the weight of storage that's a tenth of that.

thanks though,
Rob
Old 09-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #4

A door hinge application has two hinges carrying the load. In this application with one hinge and a load of 150# being extended out 18 to 24 inches will result in a load of 5 to 7 times the weight at the hinge point.
Millerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #5

Yes, sorry. Since I wrote the post I figured out that the box would have to be mounted on edge, so that it would need at least two door hinges (I originally thought I could mount it so it could rotate around the middle). They'll be mounted on a 2" post, like a door. I also finally realized that if I mount them both male-at-bottom, I can easily remove the boxes. The post has a latch to prevent them from bouncing up and off. The hinges are only about $6, so I can weld them on several accessories. I'm even thinking of trying to use one for an antenna. We'll see how it goes.

thanks again,
Rob