Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #1

Telescoping Poles

This post is somewhat of an extension to my earlir post on homemade awnings. Seeking a source for lightweight, fiberglass or aluminum telescoping poles for tarp rigging. I am going to try the biased cut nylon tarp, which needs two sides higher than the other two corners, so need some adaptability in the pole lengths, yet short for storage. Any sources and thoughts on this appreciated.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Pat I thought I posted this. I carry 4 rescue deck poles that I got from West Marine. I purchased the 3 stage poles and they will shorten up to about 4 or 5 feet.

Dave Boyer

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #3

Great shelter idea. Who shimmied up the trees to fasten the lines?? oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Extend those poles all the way out, tie a rock or stick to the end of the rope and drop it over a high branch with the pole then tie to the base of the tree. Some adjustment at the tarp and insert the poles at the tarp and extend to the height you want. I use flat pulling string that we use to pull power lines in underground conduit but nylon rope works good. Lots of people look and scratch their heads.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #5

That's brilliant! use the poles! I'm always standing around chucking the rock with the string tied to it for a half-hour!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs
I picked some up at REI, I store them in the penthouse when not in use, they go as high as 8ft, and were about 20 bucks a piece.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #7

Stiggs, I like that homemade setup a lot. A couple questions for you. Are you using spring clamps to attach the tarp directly to your raingutters? How do you keep the tarp grommets from flying off the top of the telescoping poles? How well does this setup do in the wind?

I'm still trying to figure out an awning solution for our van that is easy to setup and can withstand some wind. We didn't get the Fiamma awning since we didn't want a permanent attachment and we've heard it is lousy in the wind.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #8

I have only tested this is set up in mild on shore afternoon winds, and that is with only two anchor points, I would defiantly go with 4 but I ran out of twine

The tarp is 8x10 ($3 bucks) and I picked up 5 stakes ($.50 each) along with the poles at REI. To clamp to the rain gutter I use 3 spring loaded clamps, one on each side and one in the middle. The whole thing packs away nicely and I have also used it on the back doors. I also bought some small wood clamps that I thought I could put some felt on the ends and use those for more gusty days.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #9

Thanks for the reply Stiggs. So do the guy lines hold the tarp grommets to the telescoping pole? Also, how long would you say it takes you to set it up? Velogeo has figured out a great way to use the Kelty Carport with the SMB. The only downside to it is the amount of time it takes to set up.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #10

yes the lines keep the tarp on the poles, two on each pole is a little more secure, I got the idea from the vanagon.com site when I had my westfalia vanagon

http://vanagon.com/info/accessories/ine ... index.html

i don't use the pole in the gutter

its easier with with two people but takes about 5 to 10 minutes:
clip to van put poles in put your lines on each pole and adjust

i am going to be camping next week at willow springs (vintage motorcycle races) might have to improvise for lack of dirt i'll let you know how it turns out.