Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #1

THE DOOR TALON. A better way to secure your side door

I originally posted this on the "small project thread" in "Projects, Modifications to SMB and known issues".
It was my solution to the bungee cord provided by SMB. A lot of people were interested in it and ask if I was making them. So I became a hobbyist vendor and have been working on putting this together in my spare time.

The Door Talon will securely hold your side door open even if your van is not level, parked on an uneven surface or the wind is blowing. It is stowed where you can always get to it, no more digging around for the bungee cord.

The hook is made of 1/8" steel and is powder-coated with the end dipped in rubber. The big finish washer is machined of aluminum and has been anodized in black. The hook pivots on a bronze bearing that also acts as a spacer to put just the right amount of pressure on the Teflon washers to keep the hook in the position you put it. All other hardware is stainless steel so there is nothing in this kit that will rust or corrode. The Door Talon can be easily installed with some basic tools (drill bits and drill, socket wrench, screwdriver,...) and following the detailed installation instructions.
The price for the kit is $35.

At this point it is only available for the Ford vans RB and EB 1992 to present. However, I have learned that not all Fords are created equal. A generous tolerance on the hinges of the door has left some vans with doors that don't open as far as others resulting in the hook that I've made being too short for a small percentage of vans out there. A simple measurement from wheel well to door can determine if my hook will work on your van. Depending on how many of you out there have the larger span, I will consider making a longer version of this hook at a later date.

If you are interested in ordering one, how to measure your van or have any questions please PM me.
Thanks,
John
Attached Thumbnails
small parts shot.jpg   small stowed shot.jpg   small engaged shot.jpg  

jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #2

Re: THE DOOR TALON. A better way to secure your side door

One happy customer here! This is one of the best simple upgrades I've done to my van. I've always hated digging out the bungee cord.

My van is one of those that the tolerance was a little off, but I still made it work. Just had to mount a little closer to the outside edge of the door.

.... And what a great name too!

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #3

Just to give credit where credit is do. I would like to thank Phil publicly, that great name was his.
If it wasn't for him, I would still be calling it "the side door hook".
Old 04-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #4

Now if I can just figure out how to get royalties for every time the name is used.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #5

Looks great, very nice job. I was wondering whether to get one or not...but the name Door Talon definitely swayed my decision and I will be placing an order soon. I just need to measure the gap on my door to the wheel well.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #6

I'm in the club!

The install was so easy, although I caught my carpet with the 1/4" drillbit and tore a nice hole to work through, so did not have to cut... The lower stud was easily accessed through the last hole in the door (although I had to employ surgical clamps since it's a one finger hole).

I am amazed at the high quality of each piece, all the hardware and the perfect fit, the plasti-dipped end... like I said it made the install nearly effortless, and just a great piece of hardware all around. Thanks John!
Attached Thumbnails
doortalon.jpg  
Old 04-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #7

jage,
Thanks for the endorsement. I'm glad you like it. Looks like it turned out very nice. Sorry about your inner lining. The same thing happened to pjpvi, so I put a warning in the instructions to avoid that from happening.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #8

Garage

I am fortunate enough to work within a few blocks of John and he generously offered to do the installation for me. I am very happy with it. On an incline, my bungie was useless but now my door stays all the way open.

Here John adds an additional screw to the flare to hold it closer to the fender where the Door Talon attaches:

In action:

And retracted:

Great job, John! Thanks!

Steve in L.A.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #9

My pleasure Steve, glad it's working out for you.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #10

Now how about working on a Sliding door ext. for those of us that don't have Barn doors???