Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Re: The perfect travel grill ??

I think we have found a grill that will work with a fire pit or without..... or on a picnic table or on the ground.... with charcoal or with wood.... with an open grill or for a dutch oven... and it is certified by the National Forest Service (or some such entity) ...and it is the size of a large briefcase...

...but it is not cheap...

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #12

I've always used the small, cheap propane grills. They are not ideal, for sure, and i can't say i'm thrilled with the performance. But I often have plans for the day and not enough time to dink around with charcoal (plus i don't want to pack it), and often there is not much/any firewood available around the camp area (or time to gather it). I already pack propane bottles for heaters and lanterns and such. So for me, the propane is quick and convenient and i'm no master BBQ chef anyway so it gets the dogs and burgers cooked just fine.

I'm very interested in these alternatives though...
Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #13

We acquired an 18" Pyromid grill many years ago. It's entirely stainless steel, and folds flat to 18"x18"x1". The company went out of business years ago, but the patent owner maintains a website and hints that they may start up again (the hint, though, is years old also). They came in 12", 15", and 18" sizes, and occasionally they pop up on eBay.

It works very well, travels very well, and I'm quite surprised the company didn't do better.

Bigger is better here. The 12" works for two, but we frequently camp with 2 to 4 others, and the 18" serves all of our needs nicely.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue
also mentioned in forum somewhere before:

http://www.cobbamerica.com

no personal experience with it, but looks small and efficient and whoever first posted it said they loved it. similar to the volcano...
I have this grill and it is perfect for traveling. It isn't an open flame type grilling experience, it is a slower cooking time. Here is what I've liked about it:
  • It isn't too big and clean up is simple.
    Only needs 6 to 8 charcoal briquettes per meal.
    It is very stable.
    Can also use it as an "oven" for many types of meals such as pizza.
    Can place it on any surface as the bottom is elevated and the sides stay cool.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #15

Garage

Here is my bid: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4526. I still really like it though it also was not cheap. I purchased mine from the Expedition Exchange (http://www.expeditionexchange.com/snowpeak/) but it looks like you can also get it from Snowpeak's website (http://www.snowpeak.com). No option for using propane though.

Steve in L.A.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #16

Re: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemanc ... 110&brand=

Can the Coleman grill hook up to an extend a stay (linked to main SMB propane system)? The product description doesn't specify.

Thanks!
Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

My gas weber is the best I've found as far as ease goes...turn it on, scrape the grill, throw in the food, take it off and shut down the propane. No heat plates or anything to clean. It does put out heat out on the bottom so no using it on a plastic table but it also acts as a warmer if something comes off the grill before the main dish is cooked. It's square so it stows OK except the lid handle. I'd like a high end version but then would worry about leaving it in camp.

I also have the Cobb grill and it makes for better tasting food plus you can cook things in the moat. It also can cook a whole tri-tip with very little charcoal but I just think it's more of a PITA to use compared to a gas grill. It's a trade off but I'm still looking for that perfect grill.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

I forgot I was supposed to be adding photos.... the grill is going with us this weekend so I will get some photos of it in action.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #19

Re: Simple and cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
Here's what we have used for years. Prop it over a firepit with rocks, or just dig a hole in the ground and add briquets. It's out of a portable propane grill. Available at garage sales and recylcling centers everywhere! Carrying case extra. Easy clean up with a pine cone.

We use the exact same setup and have for years. Along with the plastic bag, I also store it in a cardboard box that is just the right size. Cheap and easy and if you happen to lose it or run over it ( I'm not admitting to either), it's no big loss.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #20

...it looks like that must have a ground fire to work.... so that is disqualified from this competition.

Yes, it needs to work with a ground fire, but what if you are where they are not allowed?

Needs to work with charcoal or wood. for grill or dutch oven....

What we have found works on the ground, or on a picnic table, and it can be used where ground fires are not allowed... it can use charcoal or wood...