Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2008, 12:19 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Thule Hullavator

Anyone have any experience with the Thule Hullavator? We were thinking it would be a good addition to our 4x4 SMB to haul surfboards or a kayak with its ease of loading. Any positive or negative feed back is appreciated! Thanks

-Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:44 PM   #2

Re: Thule Hullavator

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgeek33
Anyone have any experience with the Thule Hullavator? We were thinking it would be a good addition to our 4x4 SMB to haul surfboards or a kayak with its ease of loading. Any positive or negative feed back is appreciated! Thanks

-Ray
I don't have the hullavator, but we just got the slipstream for our kayaks. It works great for loading a kayak with two people. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I will soon. I will do a little write up of it in the near future.

When we do have surf boards on the roof, we just hand/haul them up. I can handle 9' longboards myself with limited difficulties.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:02 PM   #3

Can you use the Slipstream to load a surfboard as well? We have a cascade box on the passenger side of the rack and my goal is to have something that I can strap a Kayak or a surfboard on, not together ofcourse.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:28 PM   #4

I use Thule Hullavators on my Sprinter for kayaks. Since the roof is over eight feet high it was the only simple way to load the boats. The racks work! However you need to be careful to raise and lower kayaks or boards evenly.

The Hullavators are probably not the least expensive solution but I would buy them again. Check my album for pics.

Henry
Old 11-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #5

I posted something yesterday and I think it got lost in cyberspace.

sd,
Thanks......looking forward to the pics.

Henry,
Thank you as well. Do you use a ladder to raise or lower your kayak?

-Ray

Old 11-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #6

Ray

I use a three step stool. I can't reach the rack handles without it. Once the boats are down beside the van it's easy to get them on or off. If the racks are on the van the loading unloading process(straps, bow and stern lines, etc) only takes about ten minutes for both kayaks. We had to practice a few times but my wife and I have become fairly fast at it. We always remove the racks after use because it's just too much stuff up there. Again the racks work! The alternative is climb on the roof and pull stuff up.

Henry
Old 11-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #7

Ray, I just posted a separate topic on the Thule Slipstream (http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2056). Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:11 AM   #8

HUllavators

I have a Transformer with the Powered Pentouse Top. I bought some used Hullavators on Craigslist and LOVE THEM. I load a 16 foot and 14.5 foot kayaks without any issues.
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #9

We have a 75# tandem kayak and a 2014 E350 SMB w/penthouse. We are seriously considering buying a Hullavator. We are concerned about the tork put on the penthouse by the Hullavator when loading and unloading. Should we be??
bglockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #10
Site Team

Garage
Depends. An electric top can lift quite a bit. The Aluminess rack plus all the lighting and solar panels adds up. I just make sure the storage pod I have on top is empty of heavy items before lifting the penthouse.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote