Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #1

Tie Downs on roof rack. What does everyone use

I am trying to tie down certain permanent items to my roof rack such as a water canister and my max trax. I have tried most everything at Home Depot to no avail. Bungys, rubber straps. Ratchets. Eventually The sun in South west eventually breaks down whatever I use. The latest casualty was one of my trax as a strap broke underway and I lost one of them.

Has anyone found a type of tie down that doesn’t eventually break down within months of sitting in full sun?

Lcavalletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #2

Have you tried unistrut or channel “Home Depot item” electrical section and threaded rod 1/4 3/8 1/2 all fits through slotted strut(cut it to length) or use hex bolts,if you don’t want rattle or rub on certain items use 3m sticky back weatherstripping on back of strut etc.they have L brackets and and other fittings to build just about anything with an imagination and beer.its all zinc plated heavy duty...
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #3

I'm using it on my waverunner trailer right now to run up to the top of my new storage box before drilling in so I don’t have salt water intrusion during launches
Old 06-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #4

Hd also sells spring nuts(same section with all strut accessories) that pop in the strut anywhere you need to attach something and with threaded eye bolts i have installed padlocks etc for security
Old 06-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
McMaster sells plastic knobs with threaded metal inserts, some are a thru-hole design---these might be useful for tightening and removing whatever's attached to the UniStrut. Since these would not require any tools they'd provide quick and easy access for removal or re-attachment.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote