Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
Trash

This is coming from someone who's never had a camper before. How do you handle trash in a Sportsmobile? I mean, I get the whole putting the trash in some sort of container concept, thank you. What kind of container and where does it go? The goal being to keep away critters and smells, even without umping food in there. How do you handle the accumulation when boon docking?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
Site Team

I've used a five gallon bucket with a tight fitting lid, similar to an orange 5 gallong Home Depot bucket. The tight fitting lid, sometimes too tight, does a good job of keeping odors in and critters out.

Herb
Old 11-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #3

That' a good idea. Is there some place it tucks into in your van?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Uhhhh,...not really. Also makes for a decent visitor camp chair (maybe a visitor that you don't want to stay too long).

Herb
Old 11-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #5

Trash goes in a small trash can between the front seats when driving and closed up for the night. Outside the van I'll hang a garbage bag from the Aluminess tray in the back or tie it in a tree (depending on critter expectations), and food mess and larger trash go in the outside bag (also the can gets emptied there). When we're ready to head the Aluminess tray makes a nice spot for the garbage bag until we can find a dumpster.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #6

Actually, I know I've seen five gallon buckets with a cushioned lid. Probably at Sportsman's Warehouse or the like. I'll have to see if it's not too much.

We're getting the Baja box. Sounds like I'm set. Right now the only thing set to go in there is a neat fold up fireplace I found that we're going to use for dutch oven cooking.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #7

We're only gone for up to four days, so the duration isn't that bad. We use a small trashcan under the sink for real trash, put recycling behind the drivers seat, and also have two small plastic containers with screw on lids that we use for compost. Yes, compost. We actually bring our organic back home with us. Am guessing that doesn't work for most people, but it certainly addresses the smell issue.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #8

We don't compost right now. They are starting to encourage folks to put their food waste into the yard waste cans around here. Segregating the food waste into something small and air tight is a very good idea. Dividing the recycling and trash will make it easier find places for everything.

As a side bar I can tell you, having been to the place where the yard and food waste all goes a number of times, that mixing semi loads of old produce and grass clippings is amazingly... productive. Aroma wise it's something to be missed, and I use to work on a pig farm for a number of years.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #9

Dealing with Garbage

I use a backpack type bag that fits on the spare tire on the rear of my van. I saw it on some 4x4 web site and because it was so expensive I had a local guy make it for me. I just put in a full size trash bag and it stays outside even when driving without any problems. If I am worried about critters getting into it I can hang the whole bag from a tree, but I haven't run into that problem.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:35 PM   #10

Photos?