Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-09-2021, 05:46 PM   #11
Site Team
 
rionapo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 1,145
Garage
Ultimate Campground is reliable, the developer is responsive and it’s part of a suite of travel apps that I use and have used for years. I added Allstays three years ago in a California trip for commercial sites. It’s good, too, and has non-commercial locations as well but I prefer UC overall. Simple interface, good info, responsive developer.
__________________

__________________
-Don-

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Modesitt Software's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I can't remember the developers name but he is a member here and made some contributions, etc. when these apps were new a few years ago.
As you can tell I haven't logged in for awhile! But the dev is me. I just posted updates to all my travel apps. I also now have a Boondocking app that may be of interest as well. I added many of the boondocking locations while traveling with my Winnebago Revel. Let me know if anyone has any questions. Thanks!
__________________

Modesitt Software is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:07 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 9,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modesitt Software View Post
As you can tell I haven't logged in for awhile! But the dev is me. I just posted updates to all my travel apps. I also now have a Boondocking app that may be of interest as well. I added many of the boondocking locations while traveling with my Winnebago Revel. Let me know if anyone has any questions. Thanks!
Hey there, thanks for checking in! I still love the Ultimate Public CG app and have probably recommended it to 100 people.

Keep up the good work!
__________________
-Eric

2010 Chevy AWD home build
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:38 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
larrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oregon Ciry Oregon
Posts: 2,631
I never put 2 and 2 together to realize that my go to software for trip planning was developed by a forum member. Thanks for your great apps.
__________________
Larrie
Read detailed trip reports, see photos and videos on my travel blog, luinil.com.
Visit my Patreon page: patreon.com/LarrieEasterly
Current van: 2002 Ford E350 extended body camper with Colorado Camper Van pop top and Agile Offroad 4WD conversion.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:49 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Modesitt Software's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9
Thanks for the kind words on my apps! I'm retired now so I can spend a lot of my time traveling around verifying camping locations, as well as adding reviews and pictures. If anyone has any suggestions or comments, let me know. Thanks!
__________________
My apps: https://apps.apple.com/us/developer/william-modesitt/id292400312?mt=1
Modesitt Software is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
moorefc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: PNW or maybe Baja Sur
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modesitt Software View Post
Thanks for the kind words on my apps! I'm retired now so I can spend a lot of my time traveling around verifying camping locations, as well as adding reviews and pictures. If anyone has any suggestions or comments, let me know. Thanks!

Been checking your android UPCampground app for a number of years, and it is really good....many of our more off the grid campspots are identified...selfish me wants them off the radar, but on the other hand it's great to be traveling thru an area and easily identify more remote options for an overnight....Is the boondocking app is available on android? I couldn't find it....
Thx for your contributions!
__________________
Pac NW and warmer places
1995 E250 EB 5.8 2WD on to a new owner
2006 E350 EB Elect Top 2WD
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:15 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Modesitt Software's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorefc View Post
Been checking your android UPCampground app for a number of years, and it is really good....many of our more off the grid campspots are identified...selfish me wants them off the radar, but on the other hand it's great to be traveling thru an area and easily identify more remote options for an overnight....Is the boondocking app is available on android? I couldn't find it....
Thx for your contributions!
Thanks for the kind words! For the UC apps, I work with the Ultimate Public Campground Project. They maintain the data and develop the Android app, whereas I develop the iOS app. Plus I have my own iOS apps, such as the Boondocking app. As far as I know, there is no Android boondocking app. However, you may be able to use the Boondocking web site on your Android.
__________________
My apps: https://apps.apple.com/us/developer/william-modesitt/id292400312?mt=1
Modesitt Software is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:51 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 9,385
Not to take away from UC app, which I'm pretty sure I've made clear that I love, but I recently used iOverlander on two different trips and if you're looking for off grid spots it is getting really good.

I typically use UC or other apps first and fall back on iOverlander if I can't find anything else. Somehow, as long as you preload iOverlander where there is service, it will still track you pretty well and offer info without cell service. This is, of course, the way all GPS apps should work I think but they don't.
__________________
-Eric

2010 Chevy AWD home build
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:05 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Modesitt Software's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Not to take away from UC app, which I'm pretty sure I've made clear that I love, but I recently used iOverlander on two different trips and if you're looking for off grid spots it is getting really good.

I typically use UC or other apps first and fall back on iOverlander if I can't find anything else. Somehow, as long as you preload iOverlander where there is service, it will still track you pretty well and offer info without cell service. This is, of course, the way all GPS apps should work I think but they don't.
You're right, iOverlander is getting better. I occasionally use them as well. As for map caching, any app that uses Apple Maps automatically has the map cached in the system available to all apps that use Apple Maps. So if you view a location in Apple Maps, go offline, and then view that location in another app using Apple Maps, the map still should appear. For non-Apple Maps like OpenStreetMaps, some apps (like the UC apps) privately cache the last used locations, so when offline even the same non-Apple Maps should display within the app, up to a point (constrained by disk space). Probably more than you wanted, but it may be helpful as well.
__________________
My apps: https://apps.apple.com/us/developer/william-modesitt/id292400312?mt=1
Modesitt Software is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:33 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 9,385
That is helpful, thanks man.
__________________

__________________
-Eric

2010 Chevy AWD home build
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×