Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #21

Thank You! I will be ordering that one next payday!
ConnieKat

ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #22

We have on O2Cool 10" tilting fan that can be run directly off the house batteries 12 volts. Draws 5.4 watts on low and 7.3 watts on high. On really hot days we set up in the penthouse front window and it moves around the cabin.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #23

LenS,
Thank you so much! Sounds like this one would be pulling a lot less power than most of the others, which is exactly what I had wanted! Do you also know of any small heaters that don’t pull much power as well? Most of what I’ve looked at are pretty extreme.
You’d need to be plugged in to use it. I can recall several times and places where I was forced to stop
with nowhere to plug in, when it was extremely cold and snowy...like a few years ago on my way north from Tucson toward Poncha Springs. The pass, though fairly low, was closed even to chains! Luckily,
I have a really good cold weather sleeping bag ( Western Mountaineering), so managed to stay warm enough. A heater would’ve been nice.
This type of thing is also the reason I am hoping to make room for a third battery after I get done with a new plan for my Gaucho set-up. Luckily right now I have a heated garage where it’s parked for the winter.
I live between 8500 and 9000 ft. and it’s been very cold this year!
Thanks again,
ConnieKat
Old 03-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #24

As far as I know, any sort of electric heater is going to draw a lot of power. It’s not the heater fan that uses the power, it’s making the heat via the heating coil. Not really any way around that. You could get a propane stand alone heater and leave a window cracked for airflow, coupled with a good CO2 detector for safety.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #25

By definition electric heaters are 100% efficient. A heater that uses a 1000 watts makes 1000 watts of heat. My van with its insulation level (every ones mileage WILL vary) requires 100 watts to raise the interior temperature ~2.6 Fahrenheit. So if the temperature is zero Fahrenheit outside and I want it 70 Fahrenheit inside I will need 70/2.6 x 100 or a 2692 watt heater. If it is zero outside and I am happy just to have 35F inside then my heater must put out 1346 watts. No way can my house batteries come close to supplying that kind of power. The current draw would be over 2692/12=224 amps and my 2 deep cycle could not handle that kind of draw. If the could handle that level of current they would be drained in less than 1/2 hour.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:38 AM   #26

LenS
I guess there isn’t always a way around everything. But I figure it doesn’t hurt to try. There are so many gadgets now that didn’t exist when I bought the van!
I had no A/C and no window screens at the base in Panama...so learned to survive with a fan. I am still amazed that I didn’t catch something from the bites!
My little electric “ hot pot” has served me well, along with a few other things. I’m still planning to add solar, and have as assortment of panels. The problem there is the shape of my extended top. So still working on that one. I don’t do a lot of boondocking these days, unless I’m fishing.
We have a lot of Amish neighbors, so I plan to ask them for help with extending my gaucho undercabinet. I just want a bit larger bed, and that extra room for a third battery. I just don’t have the tools, or the strength to do that. But have drawn up a
goid set of plans. Also found a tri-fold memory foam
mattress online. So things are mostly on track.
Forgive me, I seem to be babbling, lol. But am excited about getting these “ improvements” done!
Thanks so much for the help,
ConnieKat
Old 03-03-2019, 12:46 AM   #27

Brian W
Hi there. Thanks for the info and advice. I was afraid of that power draw being a problem. But will likely go
with the smallest draw I can find. Possibly an electic
throw may work, but I’ll have to study the stats on everything I consider. Meanwhile, thanks for the advice! I really appreciate your time and the info.
ConnieKat
Old 06-24-2019, 02:26 PM   #28

Garage
The best 12 volt fan we have found. We have two of them.
Made in the USA.
Fan-Tastic Vent Endless Breeze Portable Box Fan
Dimensions: 14-1/4" wide x 13-1/2" tall x 3-5/8" deep
Hanging brackets extend out 3/4" from fan
Feet extend out 2-1/2" from front of fan and 1/2" from back of fan
Fan power: 12V
Cord length: 6'
Power consumption: 1.2 amps - 2.6 amps
Blade length: 4"
Fan capacity: 900 CFM
Wind speed: 10 mph
Weight: 4.85 lbs