Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #1

Water carriers that don't suck

I had gotten fed up with water containers I'd been carrying, and got even more frustrated when I tried to use an REI dividend and found they had the same old leak-o-matics. I'd always lusted after those Scepter heavy duty plastic ones made in Canada, but they're pricey and shipping always seemed to double the price.

Got a tip on some that are apparently clones/copies or whatever that are here in the US; they appear to be the same, although people are arguing about it. The weight seemed the same to the gram, and in any case they're sold by an outfit that mostly sells supplies to gov't (they apparently are a non-profit that works with the visually impaired community). I love 'em cause they're much tougher than the normal plastic ones, have a real screw down pressure release instead of those press-in ones that just pop out, and a very large wide opening, as well as a smaller one in the cap. Here's some pix:

Anyway, $25/ with free shipping over $50. They were quite prompt and very responsive to emails. Their website isn't the easiest to use, so you may have to call. Here's the link:

http://www.buylci.com/ItemDisplayF.aspx ... mID=906396

They had olive drab as well.

And for those following the shower thread, note that somewhere on YouTube there's a cool video of a guy who rigged his to be pressurized from his compressor, and with a hose and nozzle he gets quite a spray. Said it held about 10lbs, which is a considerable push.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Re: Water carriers that don't suck

Thanks for the info!

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage

I've got the pressure adaptor for those. I really never used it much but the primary goal was mainly to push fuel into the tank from the Jerry cans. I also have a setup for the water Jerry cans to transfer water into my water tank and only used it at home to test it. Anyway I carried it around for several years and finally took both the fuel and water adaptors out because of non-use. Never thought about a shower being I have an on board shower.

One note, you need to be careful and use a regulating valve or you can blow up your Jerry can. It's kind of tricky and you need to watch the sides of the can... if it starts to swell, lower the pressure. I'm really not sure if anybody makes a valve that will hold a specific pressure which also has a relief valve on it so the tanks don't over expand. It was very difficult to find just the right amount of pressure to keep it flowing or push too much air in. I have a pressure gauge on mine but the tank will tell you all you need to know. I think somebody would have to monitor the pressure while you shower. At least that was the way it worked for me anyway. Hooking up a hand pump or small low pressure electric pump might be a better choice... I don't know.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #4

Couldn't find info on what plastic it is made out of and where made. Assume there are at least plastic labesl (triangle w number in it) on the cans bottom. Can you read it?

Getting gun shy on what I want my drinking water to come in contact with.....especially plastics , even "approved" plastics.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
Site Team

LCI is a great source, and I've ordered from them in the past.

If someone has their heart set on Scepter water cans (not fuel cans), here's what seems like a great source at reasonable prices. Disclaimer: I've never ordered from this company, so no firsthand knowledge.

http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.co ... -Cans.html

Herb
Old 04-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #6

Garage

This is what we use. We keep it in the cabinet under the sink and use it to fill up a 1/2 gallon milk jug for kitchen use, or fill up water bottles etc. directly.

I really like the septer containers although we use the 2.5 gallon ones because they are lighter and they fit under the bench seat upright. I have cut the cap retainer off of them because they hold the cap right in the way when filling the container.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Site Team

I prefer thos 2.5 gallon Scepters myself.

Nice pump assembly. Have you posted details on that?

Herb
Old 04-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #8

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
I prefer thos 2.5 gallon Scepters myself.

Nice pump assembly. Have you posted details on that?

Herb
No I'm delinquent on several things. I got the idea HERE. I looked for alternate (cheaper) pumps, but this one fits the lid the best, and takes up minimal space.

Also this thread at Expedition Portal has several additional ideas.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #9

I almost pulled the trigger on the half size ones as well, then I figured out the taller ones actually fit a space more easily.

If you wanna do the pressurization thing, a local brewing place should have most all the hardware you need. And there are calculators online if you need to figure out how much pressure is needed to move a liquid a particular distance and height (function of the resistance of the tubing (diameter) and height); sorta like electrical wiring. And homebrewing kegs are also usually 5 gallon.

Come to think of it, since each SMB's storage situation is unique it's worth mentioning that homebrew (aka cornelius) kegs might make nice semi-permanent water carriers if kept upright. Stainless steel, can take considerable pressure, usually with relief valves, and have convenient connections for gas in (should you want to plumb to a pressure system) and water out. You can get them for less than $50 on occasion, used (they once were used extensively for soda, but not much anymore).

Where'd you get the fittings for the cap? The threads seem rather unique.
Rob
Old 04-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #10

Can the US Government come and take their cans whenever they want?