Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #1

Water Purifier

I was going to add another water tank to my SMB, but decided to build a water purifier instead. Not wanting to take up valuable storage space I kept it portable.
The self contained unit has 8AH of 12V battery power that can be recharged using the van or a battery charger.
A strainer picks up the water from a lake or stream. It then goes thru a 1 micron primary filter, then into a .1 micron filter and the final stage is a UV purifier.
The .1 filter is enough to filter out Giardia and Cryptosporidium, but I wanted to be sure to get pure water so I added the UV purifier.
I definitely chose a more expensive route, about $900 in parts, but now I don't have to worry about contaminating the van's water system by only introducing pure clean water into the system.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0030.JPG  

05 Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #2

Re: Water Purifier

Nice!

Great idea and I really like how clean and compact the install looks. Well done sir!
Is the black filter a Seagull unit?

Cheers
Mr. D
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
Site Team

That is very nice and complete.

Herb
Old 02-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #4

I've got that same filter assembly, minus the pumps and UV stuff (in other words, just the ceramic filter and holder, the blue container). I assume that's the one micron filter? I ask because I don't recall seeing one for that type of container that is .1 micron, but since I haven't used it for the same purposes I'm curious. Is the black thing the .1 micron?

Rob

PS I use mine in brewing, not in water purification.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #5

It's a composite version of a Seagull filter $290 verses $600.
Tom
Old 02-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #6

Have you tried it yet, running good? With all those filters in line does it slow down the water pressure?

Since this pump prefers to push than lift and that the Pelican case is waterproof I guess you could simply have a small suction hose coming out, long one to reach you then throw the case in the lake, voilą!

Cheers,
Mr. D
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #7

Yes, I've tried it out.
The pump is rated at 1.4 gpm, 60 psi and 12' of lift. I have 10' of suction line with the last 20" on a 90 so that a float can be attached. This keeps the pickup/strainer from sitting on the surface or sucking up sediment from resting on the lake or stream bed .....No need to toss the case in the water.
Output is over 1 gpm.

Tom
Old 02-16-2014, 05:59 AM   #8

1um followed by a 0.1um filter might plug up fast on lake and stream water. I believe UV systems recommend a 5um (nominal) pre-filter as the norm.

Since you really don't know what is in the lake or stream water might consider adding a 5um charcoal filter at the intake end for any chemical contamination in the water and taste.

Our system is a built in system. We use a 5um charcoal filter followed by 1umA (absolute) filter and use chemical disinfectant as the final stage for bacteria and virus. Cost less than $100 but defiantly not as versatile as yours. I prefer some chemicals (chlorine or iodine) to assure that the water does not become recontaminated while stored for extended (4days plus) periods of time in holding tanks.

Factors Affecting UV Purification

"The Wyckomar UV Purifier is guaranteed to eliminate microbiological contamination only if the physical qualities of the influent water supply are as follows:

Turbidity (Suspended Solids): Turbidity must be < 1.0 NTU at the time of disinfection. There must be a 5-micron or less sediment prefiltration system installed before the UV system.

TDS (Total Dissolved Solids): Should not exceed approximately 500 ppm.

Total Hardness (Sum of Calcium & Magnesium): Must be < 10 gpg (grains per gallon) of hardness, otherwise pretreatment is required.

Tannins & Colour: Must be < 2.0 ppm, or pretreatment is required."

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #9

Any RV water system is only as good as the care and maintenance that goes into it. All systems should be decontaminated at least once a year. Depending where I've been, I may decontaminate mine 3 times a season. Once purified water goes into a storage system care must be taken to prevent cross contamination. In other words don't let your shower head lay on the ground or let your pets lick your sink faucet. Take a look at the source of the water, use common sense.
The first filter on this system is 1 micron. It costs $7. The second is .1, .4 nominal. It's replacement cost is $65. It makes much more economical sense to sacrifice the $7 one than the $65 one.
The UV purifier must have a turbidity of 1 micron or less otherwise shadows will be created and not allow full disinfection.
Below is a link that shows the lab results of the Seagull filter.

Tom

http://www.seagullwaterpurification.com ... alysis.php
Old 02-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #10

I would put the 5um carbon in front of the 1um "prefilter".

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote