Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #21

Re: Water tanks?

My Grandparents have some that are like those brass ones I mentioned but these are made of fiberglass and they seal when they aren't hooked up. They bought them at a home and garden show and i have no idea what brand they are or if they are availible in any stores.

scoobasteeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
I used this very same method and it worked very well . I used 2 each 4" diameter Black ABS pipes mounted to custom ConFer Roof Rack , I installed air fittings that handled up to 50 PSi on the cab end end of the rack and 1/2" Hose fitting's to the rear end caps . The idea came from one of my friends Plumbing Trucks . I purchased all of the materials from http://www.americanvan.com and made the necessary adaptions , about a 2 hour job . This set up was on 2 of our Quigley's ,
300,000 plus miles and never failed once ! I frequently filled them and used on numerous Surfing Trips , with no ill effects in the handling of the vans . I would do this again in a heartbeat if the additional water was desired . We also have used the 5 to 15 gallon Solar Showers with much success , and the only problem that I ever had was the creation of large Water Balloons when I forgot store them before travel . Kinda of entertaining to watch the reactions of the people who were following us .
Greggde

I've been looking at the American van catalog and they only seem to sell the brackets along with the aluminum end caps (which I don't need). Did you get brackets alone? Also, did you cut in "T" fitting so you could fill quickly. Do those hold pressure? If not, how did you fill the pipe? I can think of several ways to do this but would love to see a pic of yours since it worked.

thanks

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #23

Tom ,
I will look in my files and photo archives to see if I still have drawings or photo's of our Shower Tubes . I have not used since 1993 . They are very straight forward , with most of the ABS pipe and fittings available at local home building and plumbing supply outlet's . The brackets were purchased from American Van and remember to angle the pipe towards the direction of your outlet , it doesn't take very much . on our first go around I installed an air fitting , with the idea of pressurizing the system and it in fact did handle 50 psi of pressure but was never really utilized as the gravity was enough to provide the little pressure needed for rinsing off .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
Tom ,
I will look in my files and photo archives to see if I still have drawings or photo's of our Shower Tubes . I have not used since 1993 . They are very straight forward , with most of the ABS pipe and fittings available at local home building and plumbing supply outlet's . The brackets were purchased from American Van and remember to angle the pipe towards the direction of your outlet , it doesn't take very much . on our first go around I installed an air fitting , with the idea of pressurizing the system and it in fact did handle 50 psi of pressure but was never really utilized as the gravity was enough to provide the little pressure needed for rinsing off .
Greggde
Greggde

Thanks. That may solve the issue. If I don't need pressure (other than gravity) it all becomes much simpler. A 4 inch pipe, two caps, glue, a T fitting with threaded cap for filling, an outlet with a ball valve, a quick disconnect for the hose, black paint, long stainless worm gear straps, and strap in onto the Thule load bars next to the basket at a slight angle.

Stepping down a 4 inch pipe to garden hose size may be challenging but I bet I can tap the side of the pipe to accept some brass fitting and use teflon tape. Unless you had another method. I'd rather tap into the end cap but that would not be the bottom of the system.

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #25

Tom ,
I tapped both of ours and used ABS Plastic fittings and solvent type glue to seal the Tee used was a 4"/4" reduced to 2" with a threaded plug for the filling .
Greggde
The 5/8 hose connection was was glued into the rear most 4" cap , this made for an easier and stronger contact point .
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #26

Anyone thought about mounting a flat tank on the roof like a solar panel. I like the idea of extra water on the roof, but I don't want another tube like structure up there. My Solar bracket has a space left for a possible slim tank water mount. Any ideas for getting a tank up behind my panels?

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote