Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2016, 01:34 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
That's when I move to cast iron.

Gee, Looks good, I had a Partner Steel 22" BBQ & Padded Cover shipped with the SMB for arrival in Oz. Can't wait for a nice T Bone Steak out camp'n.

2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #12
tlg

Garage
Check out the volcano grill. Fits perfectly in our baja box. Multi-fuel capable, collapsible, easy to clean, and lots of ways to cook (including a Dutch oven feature). Good videos on their website: https://www.volcanogrills.com
Old 05-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat View Post
Ooooh. Porterhouse on a partner steel stove?
I think technically a porterhouse, as the tenderloin section seems a little larger than it would be on a t-bone.. But SherriffDoug is close.

And yes, 22" Partner Steel stove. So happy with that purchase. Best stove I've ever had. Also have the padded cover from Blue Ridge Overland Gear.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
I think technically a porterhouse, as the tenderloin section seems a little larger than it would be on a t-bone.. But SherriffDoug is close.
The difference, Just a little further down the cow... and ... about $2 a pound. But where T-Bone stops and Porterhouse starts is more art than science.

Kind of like buying a tree. If it just came out of a 36" box and has been transplanted into a 48" box, you are paying 48" box prices. The earlier they call it Porterhouse the more they can charge.

tlg- Never seen the volcano grill. VERY interesting. I like it. I am looking closer at this now. That is why I posted this question, there is stuff out there that works that I am totally unaware of.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #15

Quote:
But where T-Bone stops and Porterhouse starts is more art than science.
I had to find out.

"The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Institutional Meat Purchase Specifications state that the tenderloin of a porterhouse must be at least 1.25 inches (32 mm) thick at its widest, while that of a T-bone must be at least 0.5 inches (13 mm)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-bone_steak
Old 05-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
I had to find out.

"The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Institutional Meat Purchase Specifications state that the tenderloin of a porterhouse must be at least 1.25 inches (32 mm) thick at its widest, while that of a T-bone must be at least 0.5 inches (13 mm)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-bone_steak
On one side of the steak or both?
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old 05-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #17

Quote:
On one side of the steak or both?
Just the tenderloin side - the small side.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #18
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlg View Post
Check out the volcano grill. Fits perfectly in our baja box. Multi-fuel capable, collapsible, easy to clean, and lots of ways to cook (including a Dutch oven feature). Good videos on their website: https://www.volcanogrills.com
I like the idea of a multi-purpose/multi-fuel BBQ that can be used as a stove or grill. Sure wish Partner would design something similar. I just prefer a rectangular shape for storing. Cobb makes a similar round (charcoal only) grill that has a large hood which seems to be popular with some of my friends. I'm using the little square Weber gas grill. I made an extension for the lid so I can cook two full chickens at one time.
Here is a thread that covered the subject well:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...rill-5736.html

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Just the tenderloin side - the small side.
It was sort of a joke. In talking art or science I was splitting hairs, er steaks.
I was talking about the definition you gave. Is that tenderloin side of the bone measured on one side (the top or the bottom) or two sides (the top and the bottom) of the steak. Since the roast has tapering muscles, not which side of the bone, one side of the steak will have a larger tenderloin and the other side of the steak will have a smaller tenderloin.

The Volcano Looks very interesting.
When using Propane...Does this have the ability to turn the flame up and down or is it just on? I watched a ton of video, love the way it looks with charcoal, it's collapsibility, etc. It does not look like there is a way to control the amount of propane that heads to the burner, unless you are dialing the valve on the tank. I am concerned about charcoal, and having to shut down grilling if there are no fires allowed. I also like something rectangular because that is the shape of the storage area.

Is there anything else like the volcano out there?
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

Old 05-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #20
tlg

Garage
George,
We have the charcoal only version of the volcano so can't speak to the propane features. Will say its well engineered. Really solid piece of gear. Charcoal lights really easy and you don't need a lot of briquettes to cook. Also burns wood and we've used it as an impromptu fire pit several times. Also like that you can touch the sides of the grill even when the coals are hot. Makes dumping/collapsing super easy and is good safety feature with kids running around.